Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2003-03 > 1047594424

From: Barbara Ellison <>
Subject: Re: [Melungeon] Questions
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:27:04 -0600

I meant others in the earlier surrounding population with the Gibson and
Collins name, as well as those with the same names as those who married into
the Gibson and Collins lines in TN...Tho checking the neighbors of the
earlier Gibsons and Collins from surrounding areas would'nt hurt, since
mixedboods did tend to hang out together a lot, tho not in every case...
If the John Collins mentioned below was Indian, as what you quoted states,
then he either took the english name or was not fullblood Indian
himself...the latter being more likely considering the date of the record...
B.