Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2003-03 > 1047685927

Subject: [Melungeon] MILLER APP.# 557 George Hammer Brown, Wilcox, Ross, Taylor, Martin,
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:52:07 EST

PLEASE NOTE:

The George Hammer Brown family would be a textbook case to show how the rolls
work, how individuals can be traced through the years, and how one family can
have brothers and sisters listed as Freedmen in some cases and as Cherokee in
others.

Hi Everyone,

PLEASE NOTE ALL RESPONSES TO QUESTION ARE IN CAPS.

Below are the questions asked on the Miller Applications I have sent you info

on in the Freedmen Project work. I hope to get at least two a week submitted.

For those of you who cannot afford these NARA applications, I would advise
that after you confirm it is your line, that you send for the packet, for
source proof. Remember geneology is nothing without documentation.

Page 1)
Application # 557
Action Taken-- ADMITTED
Name of applicant--GEORGE HAMMER BROWN
No. of children--X
Residence--LENAPAH, OKLA.
Reason----APPLICANT AND HIS BROTHERS & SISTERS ENROLLED ON DRENNEN ROLL,
SALINE DISTRICT # 464-5
(see special report)

NOTES ATTACHED INCLUDE:
No.----#557
Name---GEORGE HAMMER BROWN
With No.--- ALEX BROWN
Remarks-- #558, 947, 32594,19011,25347
(Notify both applicants)

#947 AND 32594 PERRY ROSS IS A CHEROKEE FREEDMEN
Question--ARE OTHERS OF THIS GROUP EX-SLAVES?

CLAIMS ALEXANDER BROWN AS A GREAT GRANDFATHER
# 557--# 558
LENAPAH OK.
(See SAL. 465)
(See File, 353, 350)

Page 2)

SPECIAL COMMISSIONER of the COURT of CLAIMS,601 Ouray Building, Washington
D.C.
Sir,I hereby make application for such share as may be due me of the fund
appropriated by the ACT of CONGRESS, appoved June 30, 1906, in accordance
with the decrees of the COURT of CLAIMS of May 18,1905, and May28, 1906, in
favor of the eastern Cherokees. The evidence of identity is herewith
subjoined.Note: Answers to all questions should be short, but complete. If
you can not answer, so state.

Question # 1)State full name:
English name---GEORGE HAMMER BROWN
Indian name--HAVE NONE

#2)Residence--LENAPAH

#3)Town and Post Office--LENAPAH

#4)County---CHEROKEE NATION

#5)State---INDIAN TERRITORY

#6)Date and place of birth?---IN 1839 IN GEORGIA

#7) By what right do you claim to share? If you claim through more then one
relative living in 1851, set forth each claim seperatly:----FOR MYSELF, MY
MOTHER RACHEL BROWN,MY GRANDMOTHER SUSIE WILCOX, MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS,
SILAS AND SALLIE ROSS (OR BROWN) BOTH OF WHOM DIED WITHOUT DESCENT.
MY AUNTS POLLY AND JANE WILCOX, BOTH OF WHOM DIED WITHOUT DESCENT.

#8)Are you married?--YES

#9)Name and age of wife or husband--MAHALA BROWN, AGE 57 YEARS

#10)Give names of your father and mother, and your mothers maiden name before
marriage.

Father- english name-STEPHEN TAYLOR
Indian name---HAD NONE
Mother- english name---RACHEL BROWN
Indian name---HAD NONE
Maiden name---RACHEL BROWN

#11)Where were they born?

Father- IN CHEROKEE NATION EAST
Mother- IN CHEROKEE NATION EAST

#12)Where did they reside in 1851, if living at this time?

Father-IN CHEROKEE NATION
Mother- DIED IN SALINE DISTRICT ABOUT 1851

#13)Date of death of your father and mother:

Father---SINCE THE CIVIL WAR
Mother---ABOUT 1851

Page 3

#14)Were they ever enrolled for money, annuities, land, or other benifits? If
so, state when and were.---ON EMMIGRANT CHEROKEE PAYROLL IN SALINE DISTRICT
IN 1851

#15)Name all your brothers and sisters, giving ages, and residence if
possible.

Name--ABBIE BROWN # 558
DOB---LENAPAH, I.T.
DOD---

Name--SILAS ROSS
DOB---
DOD---DIED WITHOUT DESCENT

Name--JUNO ROSS
DOB---
DOD---DEAD

Name--SALLIE ROSS
DOB---
DOD---DIED WITHOUT DESCENT

Name--PERRY ROSS
DOB---
DOD---CLAREMORE, I.T.

#16)State English name and Indian names of your grandparents on both
father's side, and mother's side, if possible.

fathers side---

mothers side---SUSIE BROWN, AFTERWARDS SUSIE WILCOX

#17)Where were they born?---SUSIE BROWN WAS BORN IN CHEROKEE NATION EAST.

#18)Where did they reside in 1851, if living at that time?--SUSIE WILCOX
LIVED IN SALINE DISTRICT.

#19)Give names of all their children, and residence, if possible:

English Name:----RACHEL BROWN, MY MOTHER, DEAD
Indian Name:---
Residence:----

English Name--POLLY WILCOX, DEAD WITHOUT DESCENT
Indian Name:--
Residence:---

#20)Have you ever been enrolled for money, annuities, land, or other
benifits? If so, state when and were,and with what tribe of Indians.
ANSWER;----ON THE EMIGRANT ROLL OF 1851, ON CHEROKEE AUTHENTICATED ROLL OF
1880, AND AM A CHEROKEE ALLOTTEE.

Page 4

#21)To assist in identification, claiment should give the full English and
Indian names, if possible, of their parents and grandparents back to
1835.-----MY GRANDFATHER ALEXANDER BROWN LIVED ON OOSTANOLLAH RIVER IN
GEORGIA IN 1835.

Remarks- Section)
Under this head the applicant may give any additional facts which will assist
in providing his
claim.------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Legal- Section )
I solemnly swear that the forgoing statements made by me are true to the best
of my knowledge and belief.

Signature- GEORGE HAMMER (his x mark) BROWN

Witnesses to mark-- G.W. PATCHETT
W.H. ROWLEY

Subscribed and sworn to before me this 22ND day,of SEPTEMBER, 1906.

Notary Public- signature--W.E.TWICHELL
CommExp.-- OCT. 4TH, 1909

Affidavit)--

(The following affidavit must be sworn to by two or more witnesses, who are
well acquainted with the applicant.)

Personally appeared before me J.H. SHUFELDT and S.A. BEEN, who being duly
sworn, on oath depose and say they are well acquainted with GEORGE HAM,MER
BROWN who makes the foregoing application and statements, and have known HIM
for 21 years and 10 years, respectively, and know HIM to be the identical
person HE represents HIMSELF to be, and that the statements made by HIM are
true, to the best of their knowledge and belief, and they have no interest
whatever in HIS claim.

Witnesses to mark-

Signatures of witnesses---J.H. SHUFELDT
S.A. BEAN

Subscribed and sworn to me, before me this 22ND day of SEPTEMBER, 1906.

Notary signature---W.E. TWICHELL
Notary commission expires---OCT, 24TH, 1909.

NOTE: Affidavits should be made, whenever practicable, before a notary
public,or clerk of the court, if sworn to before an Indian agent or
disbursing agent of the Indian service, it need not be before a notary,
etc.--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------MY PERSONAL NOTE:Pages after
that include letters written to the BIA about their claim. Some have
additional papers, others do not.

ADDITIONAL PAPERS INCLUDED ARE AS FOLLOWS;

APP # 947 AND 32594
MISC.

PERRY ROSS, BEING DULY SWORN, DEPOSES AND SAY'S:

MY NAME IS PERRY ROSS. I AM ABOUT 59 YEARS OLD. I CLAIM CHEROKEE BLOOD
THROUGH MY MOTHER. MY FATHER WAS COLORED AND A SLAVE.
HER NAME WAS RACHEL BROWN, AND MY FATHER'S NAME WAS ROSS AFTER HIS OWNER. I
WAS ENROLLED BY THE DAWES COMMISSION AS CHEROKEE FREEDMEN, CHEROKEE FREEDMEN
# 2590.
I GOT THE STRIP MONEY AND BREAD MONEY.
I WAS NEVER A SLAVE. MY MOTHER WAS NEVER A SLAVE.
THE DAWES ROLL ASKED ME WHICH ROLL I WANTED TO GO ON AND I WAS SCARED AND
SAID FREEDMEN, AS THEY HAD TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE SOME TROUBLE GETTING ON THE
OTHER ALTHOUGH MY MOTHER WAS A FULL BLOOD.
SHE LIVED ON GRAND RIVER SALINE DISTRICT. SHE DIED IN THAT DISTRICT AND LIVED
THERE AT THE TIME I WAS BORN. SHE HAS BEEN DEAD.
SHE WAS ENROLLED IN 1851 IN SALINE DISTRICT, I THINK.
I KNEW HER MOTHER. SHE GOT INDIAN BLOOD FROM BOTH PARENTS. HER MOTHER WENT BY
THE NAME SUSIE WILCOX.. SHE LIVED IN THE TERRITORY;SHE CALLED ME HER
GRANDSON. SHE WAS INDIAN. I CAN'T RECALL MY GRANDFATHER WILCOX. I NEVER
JOINED ANY OTHER TRIBE OF INDIANS BUT ALWAYS WENT WITH THE CHEROKEES. I DON'T
REMEMBER MY MOTHERS BROTHERS AND SISTERS.
MY HALF BROTHERS ARE GEORGE H. BROWN AT LENAPAH, OR HAMMER BROWN.
ABBIE BROWN IS MY HALF SISTER. SHE ALSO LIVES AT LENAPAH. HAMMER BROWN DID
NOT TAKE THE FREEDMEN ROLL BUT HIS DAUGHTERS FOLLOWED THE MOTHER AND TOOK IT.

MY OTHER RELATIVES ARE ALL DEAD. WE HAD THE SAME MOTHER.

Signature Of Witness--- PERRY x ROSS

HIS GRANDMOTHER WAS, SUSIE WILCOX, nee BROWN. SHE WAS THE MOTHER OF RACHEL
BROWN, POLLY, JAMES, AND THOMPSON WILCOX.
RACHEL BROWN WAS THE MOTHER OF PERRY.
(ACCORDING TO MR. STARR )

SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN TO ME AT CLAREMORE, OKLAHOMA, THIS 1ST DAY OF SEPTEMBER,
1908.

A.S. MARINE
ASST. to SPECIAL COMMISSIONER
OF THE COURT OF CLAIMS

2513

-----------------------------------
# 2

# 557
EXHIBIT A
TO THE SPECIAL COMMISSIONER
OF THE COURT OF CLAIMS
EASTERN CHEROKEE ENROLLMENT
601 OURAY BUILDING
WASHINGTON D.C.

LENAPAH, OKLA.
FEB. 29TH, 1908

DEAR SIR,
REPLING TO YOUR LETTER OF THE 24TH 1908, I BEG TO SUBMIT
THE FOLLOWING SWORN STATEMENT:

MY MOTHER WAS A FULL BLOOD CHEROKEE INDIAN, AND MY FATHER WAS STEPHEN TAYLOR
A NEGRO BELONGING TO TOM TAYLOR A CHEROKEE INDIAN.
MY MOTHER DIED BEFORE THE MONEY WAS PAID OUT AT TAHLEQUAH, AND IT WAS PAID TO
BRISE MARTIN'S WIDOW AND ABBY, MY SISTER.
BRISE MARTIN WAS A CHEROKEE INDIAN.

PERRY ROSS IS MY HALF BROTHER. WE HAD THE SAME MOTHER BUT DIFFERENT FATHERS.
PERRY ROSS'S FATHER WAS JESSE ROSS, WHO BELONGED TO LEWIS ROSS A CHEROKEE
INDIAN.
JOHN BROWN WAS MY MOTHERS BROTHER A FULL BLOOD CHEROKEE INDIAN.

EVANS, OSCAR, SUSSIC, AND PEGGY BROWN ALL CHILDREN OF THE SAID JOHN BROWN,
ALL FULL BLOOD INDIANS AND ALL MY FIRST COUSINS.

I CAME TO THIS COUNTRY WITH LIGE HICKS, GEORGE FIELDS, WHO WERE BOTH FULL
BLOOD INDIANS AND ALSO MY MOTHER AND SISTER ABBIE FROM GEORGIA. I CANNOT
REMEMBER ALEXANDER BROWN FOR THAT WAS BEFORE I WAS BORN.

I WAS NEVER HELD AS A SLAVE., BY THE CHEROKEE INDIANS.
I DO NOT KNOW HOW MANY TIMES MY MOTHER SUSSIC BROWN AND MY GRANDMOTHER WAS
MARRIED.
JUDGE BROWN, BETTER KNOWN AS JIM BROWN WAS JUDGE AT TAHLEQUAH. HE WAS MY
MOTHERS UNCLE AND MY GREAT UNCLE. HE WAS A FULL BLOOD INDIAN.

Signature-- GEORGE HAMMER (his x mark ) BROWN

SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN TO BEFORE ME THIS 29TH, DAY OF FEBUARY, 1908.

Witness to mark--- J.V. WATSON
S.J. WYCHUFFY

Notary Signature--- JOHN A. KIDD
CommExp.--NOV. 19TH, 1908

----------------------------------
# 3

LENAPAH, I.T.
OCT. 19,1906

THE HONERABLE SECRATARY OF INTERIOR,
WASHINGTON, D.C.

DEAR SIR,

ABBIE BROWN HAS DRAWED THREE TIMES SINCE THE WAR. JOEL BRYANT DRAWED
FOR HER TWICE, AND I DRAWED FOR HER ONCE SINCE THE WAR.
JOEL BRYANT DRAW FOR HER AND CHANGED HER NAME TO ABBIE HICKS.THAT IS THE
NAMED JOEL DRAWED FOR UNDER.
YOU WILL FIND HER NAME ON THAT ......GRANT ROLL AND SHE DRAWED THE
E......GRANT MONEY BEFORE THE WAR. SHE NEVER HAVE BEEN OUT THE TERRITORY IN
HER LIFE. I HAD A LAWYER TO LOOK AFTER THIS THAT COST TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY
DOLLARS.
I WRITE FOR INFORMATION, WHAT I SHALL DO. THIS ABBIE BROWN IS MY SISTER AND
IS ABOUT ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN YEARS OLD ON THE CHEROKEE ROLL. MY NAME IS
ON THE CHEROKEE ROLL TOO. BOTH OF US DRAWED THE ANNUITY-MONEY BEFORE THE WAR.

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU BY RETURN MAIL.

VERY RESPECFULLY,
GEO. H. BROWN ( CHEROKEE)
LENAPAH, I.T.

-----------------------------------
# 4

#557 ET AL.

IN RE APPLICATIONS OF GEORGE HAMMER BROWN, ABBIE BROWN, PERRY ROSS, AND THEIR
DECENDENTS.

GEORGE H. BROWN, ABBIE BROWN AND PERRY ROSS CLAIM THAT THEIR MOTHER WAS A
FULL BLOOD CHEROKEE AND THEIR FATHERS (they had different fathers) WERE
NEGROES AND SLAVES.
THEY CLAIM THAT THEY WERE ENROLLED IN 1851 AND GEORGE HAMMER BROWN STATES
THAT HIS MOTHER WAS DEAD AT THAT TIME, AND THAT BRISE MARTIN'S WIDOW DREW
THE MONEY FOR THEM: THAT IS GEORGE, JUNO, AND PERRY. ABBIE BEING OLDER DREW
FOR HERSELF.

GEORGE HAMMER BROWN IS ENROLLED BY THE DAWES COMMISSION ON THE ROLL OF
CHEROKEES BY BLOOD AT # 15967 AS 1/2 BLOOD.
ABBIE'S NAME CANNOT BE FOUND IN ANY OF THE DAWES COMMISSION ROLLS UNDER THE
NAME OF ABBIE BROWN.
PERRY ROSS WAS ENROLLED BY THE DAWES COMMISSION ON THE FREEDMEN ROLL AT #
2590, AND HE GIVES HIS EXPLANATION OF THE FACT THAT HE WAS ENROLLED UPON THAT
ROLL, THAT WHEN HE WAS ASKED BY THE DAWES COMMISSION ON WHICH ROLL HE WANTED
TO GO, HE WAS SCARED AND SAID "FREEDMEN", "AS THEY HAD TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE
SOME TROUBLE GETTING ON THE OTHER ALTHOUGH MY MOTHER WAS A FULL BLOOD"
(see misc. test. page 2513 )

THE NAMES OF GEORGE , JUNO, AND PER-O APPEAR ON THE DRENNEN ROLLS, SALINE
DISTRICT 464. ABIGAIL IN THE SAME DISTRICT # 465, AND IT APPEARS FROM THE
ORIGINAL ROLL THAT SARAH MARTIN RECIEVED THE MONEY FOR THESE CHILDREN.
THEY ALSO CLAIM THAT THEIR GRANDMOTHER, SUSAN WILCOX AND THEIR AUNT, POLLY
WILCOX, WHO WAS NOT MARRIED, WERE ENROLLED IN 1851.
THEIR NAMES APPEAR ON THE DRENNEN ROLL IN FLINT DISTRICT, GROUP # 353.

GEORGE HAMMER BROWN STATES IN AFFIDAVIT THAT HIS MOTHER HAD A BROTHER BY THE
NAME OF JOHN BROWN WHO WAS A FULL BLOOD CHEROKEE INDIAN. HE ALSO STATES THAT
HE AND HIS MOTHER AND SISTER CAME FROM GA WITH "LIGE" HICKS AND GEORGE
FIELDS.
THE NAME JOHN BROWN APPEARS ON THE DRENNEN ROLL IN SALINE DISTRICT # 531 AND
ELIJAH HICKS IS THE HEAD OF THE PRECEDING GROUP # 530.

AS THESE APPLICANTS, ALTHOUGH THEIR FATHERS WERE NEGROES AND SLAVES, CLAIM
THROUGH THEIR MOTHER A FULL BLOOD , AND AS THEY THEMSELVES ARE ENROLLED AS
ABOVE STATED, THEY AND THERE DECENDANTS ARE CLEARLY ENTITLED AND SHOULD BE
ADMITTED.

SEE AFFIDAVIT OF GEORGE HAMMER BROWN OF FEBUARY 29TH, 1908,AND MARKED
"EXHIBIT A ".
ALSO SEE misc.test.,pages 2135, 2136, 2513.

------------------------------------
# 5

FEBUARY 24, 1908

GEORGE HAMMER BROWN,
LENAPAH, OKLA.

SIR,

YOU HAVE ON FILE IN THIS OFFICE APPLICATION # 557, IN WHICH YOU STATE
THAT YOU WERE BORN IN 1839 IN GEORGIA, AND THAT YOU CLAIM A SHARE OF THE
MONEY APPROPRIATED FOR THE EASTERN CHEROKEE INDIANS BY RIGHT OF YOURSELF AS
HAVING BEEN ENROLLED, AND BY RIGHT OF YOUR MOTHER, RACHEL BROWN.
I BEG TO ADVISE THAT YOUR NAME DOES NOT APPEAR UPON THE ROLL OF 1851,
NOR DOES THE NAME OF YOUR MOTHER APPEAR UPON SAID ROLL EITHER AS RACHEL BROWN
OR RACHEL TAYLOR.
PLEASE ADVISE THIS OFFICE WHETHER YOU ARE A FULL BLOOD CHEROKEE, OR
WHETHER YOU ARE OF THE CHEROKEE AND WHITE RACE OR CHEROKEE AND NEGRO RACE.
WERE YOU EVER HELD AS A SLAVE BY THE CHEROKEE INDIANS?
WAS YOUR MOTHER A SLAVE OF THE CHEROKEE INDIANS?

STATE EXACTLY THE RELATIONSHIP OF PERRY ROSS TO YOURSELF.
I NOTICE THAT PERRY ROSS, WHO YOU STATE WAS ONE OF YOUR BROTHERS WAS ENROLLED
AS A CHEROKEE FREEDMAN.
UNDER THE HEAD OF THE REMARKS YOU STATED IN YOUR APPLICATION THAT YOUR GREAT
GRANDFATHER, ALEXANDER BROWN, LIVED ON THE OOSTOONOLLA RIVER IN GEORGIA IN
1835.

PLEASE INFORM THIS OFFICE HOW MANY CHILDREN THE SAID ALEXANDER

PAGE 2
G.H.B.

BROWN HAD, STATING WHETHER THEY WENT TO THE INDIAN TERRITORY IN 1835-37.
IF THERE ARE ANY DECENDANTS OF THE SAID ALEXANDER BROWN NOW LIVING IN INDIAN
TERRITORY, PLEASE GIVE THEIR NAMES ANS ADDRESSES.

TO WHAT RACE OF PEOPLE DID YOUR FATHER, STEPHAN TAYLOR BELONG?
HOW DID THE ROSS NAME BECOME ASSOCIATED WITH THAT OF BROWN,AS I NOTICE YOU
STATE YOUR SISTER AND BROTHER WERE KNOWN AS SILAS AND SALLIE ROSS OR BROWN,
BOTH OF WHOM DIED WITHOUT DECENT.

HOW MANY TIMES WAS YOUR GRANDMOTHER, SUSIE BROWN, MARRIED?
WHO WAS HER FIRST COUSIN?
WHO WERE HER SECOND AND THIRD COUSINS, IF SHE HAD SECOND AND THIRD?

ARE YOU RELATED TO THE DECENDENTS OF ALEXANDER BROWN WHO RESIDED IN MISSOURI,
AND WHO CLAIMED THAT THERE ANCESTER, ALEXANDER BROWN, WAS ENROLLED IN 1835
AND EMIGRATED TO MISSOURI IN 1837.
IS THIS THE ALEXANDER BROWN WHO YOU CLAIM IS YOUR GREAT GRANDFATHER?
WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE WIFE OF YOUR GREAT GRANDFATHER, ALEXANDER BROWN?
WAS SHE A FULL BLOOD INDIAN, AND ARE YOU THE DECENDANT OF SAID MARRIAGE, OR
ARE YOU THE DECENDANT OF ALEXANDER BROWN AND A NEGRO WOMAN?

PLEASE GIVE THE HISTORY OF YOUR FAMILY FULLY, TRACING FROM YOUR GREAT
GRANDPARENT, ALEXANDER BROWN, DOWN TO YOURSELF.

RESPECTFULLY,
SPECIAL COMMISSIONER
LBD/AIL

Bright Star