Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2003-05 > 1053306613

From: "Jack Goins" <>
Subject: Re: [Melungeon] Anybody seen this before?
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 21:10:13 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Barbara Ellison <>

> Hmm...I don't think I know what you are getting at....Are you saying that
> those called melungeons were already whatever mix they were upon arrival
> this country? And then mixed some more once here?

## Yes I think that was a very good possibility, using the oldest written
record 1848 they claimed to be shipwrecked Portuguese who married Indians.
What Indians? It was not the Cherokee because some of the ones described as
the head and source of the Melungeons of Tennessee migrated from the
Pamunkey River in Virginia. Then my other question was, Who were the
American Indians did they walk to this continent, I think DNA will
eventually show they did ?

##Then my other example you seem to disagree with was this :

."Y-Chrom. DNA slaps this right in the face, For example there are Goins
who's Y DNA is European, AA and NA, then examine the Bowling DNA , The
Sizemore DNA plus such statements . Calloway Collins said the Gibsons and
Collins stole those names Gibson and Collins
from the white settlers while living in Virginia before they migrated
(1740's) to NC."

## Note; To me this proves you cannot count on a last name to claim alone to
claim Jew, African, English, NA.etc. There is many records of people
changing their last name. So when someone throws out a list of Melungeon
names, just remember those same names are also non Melungeon. Jack.