Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2003-09 > 1064550289

Subject: Re: [Melungeon] Jewish DNA?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:24:49 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/03 6:29:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:
> Recently at the Jewish Genome Conference in Israel, scientists that have
> done Cohen gene research around the world confirmed that their results are
> consistent with the original Cohen gene study, with over 80% of self-identified
> Cohens having a common set of markers. They also shared a finding that less
> than one-third of non-Cohen Jews tested possess common genetic markers on the
> Y-chromosome. This was not surprising to the scientists because the mother
> determines Jewish status. A non-Cohen's Jewish status cannot be determined
> genetically since the Y-chromosome of a non-Jewish man could enter the Jewish gene
> pool if he had a child with a Jewish woman. Maternal genealogies are also
> being studied by means of mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited only from the
> mother."

Hi, Penny, and all. Does this seem questionable to you as it does to me?
The reason for the question is: Yes, Jewish status is passed from the mother,
but SURNAMES are passed from the father. A Cohen man would be from a Cohen
man, hence the Y-chromosome is where you would look for commonality, right? If a
Cohen women married a non-Jewish man, the offspring would not be named Cohen,
right? So, that offspring would not be studied. Right?

Judy L.

This thread: