Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2003-11 > 1068565301

Subject: Re: [Melungeon] Fw: Cherokee Tribe of Kentucky
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:41:41 EST

In a message dated 11/11/2003 9:58:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Osiyo Again Penny,
I find this Very Very Interesting. My Justice Family married into the
Cole Family, and I have many Relatives in Harlan Co. KY. Including John D.
Harless who was killed during the Harlan County, KY Coal War for Leading
Union Loyalist.
Hi

Would you know anything of "The Crane aka Kunnochatutloh? It is said the
first settlers of Scott County, Va., reported an Indian Village had once stood
on "the south bank of the Clinch River near the mouth of Stony
Creek"------------ isn't this where Fort Blackmore was built?

Journal of Christopher Gist
Monday April 1 [1750]. — Set out the same Course about 20 M. Part of the way
we went along a path up the side of a little creek at the head of which was a
Gap in the Mountains then our Path went down another Creek to a Lick where
Blocks of Coal about 8 to 10 In: Square lay upon the Surface of the Ground, here
we killed a Bear and encamped.
Tuesday 2. — Set out S 2 M, SE 1 M, NE 3 M, killed a Buffaloe.
Wednesday 3. — S 1 M, SW 3 M, E 3 M. SE 2 M, to a small Creek on which was a
large Warriors Camp, that would contain 70 Or 80 Warriors, their captains Name
or Title was the Crane, as I knew by his picture or Arms painted on a Tree.
Thursday 4. — We stayed here all Day to rest our Horses, and I platted down
our Courses and I found I had still near 200 M Home upon a Streight Line.
Friday 5. — Rained and we stayed at the Warriors Camp.
Saturday 6. — We went along the Warrior's Road S 1 M, SE 3 M, S 2M, SE 3M, E
3 M, killed a bear.
Gist discovered an Indian village on
what is believed to be a tributary of the Pound
River in Wise Co., VA. These Indians lived in
log cabins, a fact that puzzled explorers
because it was a most unusual form of lodging
for the Nomadic customs of the area. The
Indians tribal symbol was the crane and
pictures of the bird were carved on the door
post and painted at various locations
throughout the camp. The chief was called
Chief Crane.
=============================
TREATY WITH THE CHEROKEE, 1791.
1. July 2, 1791. | 7 Stat., 39. | Proclamation, Feb. 7, 1792
Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties. Vol. II (Treaties). Compiled and edited by
Charles J. Kappler
The undersigned Chiefs and Warriors, for themselves and all parts of the
Cherokee nation do acknowledge themselves and the said Cherokee nation, to be
under the protection of the said United States of America, and of no other
sovereign whosoever; and they also stipulate that the said Cherokee nation will not
hold any treaty with any foreign power, individual state, or with individuals
of any state.

Kunnochatutloh, or the Crane, his x mark, [L. S.]
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vawise/SilverMine/OtherExplorers.html
http://www.geocities.com/boonehistory/gistjournal.html

Joanne Pezzullo
"self-taught family genealogist"