Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2005-02 > 1109122997

From: galgumshoe <>
Subject: Re: [Melungeon] Some Melungeon misconceptions
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:43:17 -0800

Thanks, Wayne. The more genealogy we do, the more we realize that our
European heritage was much more diverse than western Europeans and we
Americans know. I'm very glad that this is being presented. I had a
hard time a few years ago when I first had to speak out about the
ethnic origins of Americans and especially southern Americans. Then I
had to speak out about the mythology of Melungeon as it was
all-emcompassing and was getting so much so that folks who had any
ethnic disorder were welcomed on one List as being Melungeon. We all
want to be special and we are. Melungeon has become a greater
summation of a mixed heritage. However, one needs to look seriously
and tell their doctors, etc., that you come from a mixed heritage. It
is *really* that simple and if we all take a look around us and what
Americans, north and south really are, it isn't hard to identify
oneself to their doctor. "Hello, Doctor. I am an American and my
ancestors come from many heritages... including... "

Donalyn