Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2008-01 > 1200842479

Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Turkish Melungeons Apologize for Turkish atrocities
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 10:21:19 EST

In a message dated 1/20/2008 12:07:08 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Because if it is, then you might want to re-read the posts of several folks
who appear to be saying that they agree with you ... to leave this topic
alone!

Curtis

I guess you will have to let the other folks speak for themselves. I surely
did not in any way say to leave the topic alone... I said it wasn't right.

Why would I say leave the topic alone -- no one is replying. Apparently no
one cares or everyone on the list believes they are Turks -- I'm not sure how
far back the 'self-indentification' goes since the archives are gone but in
Brent's 2004 book he says;

" here in American if one feels himself to be a Melungeon and is willing to
declare it publicly regardless of predjudices, then he or she is a Melungeon.
Based on Ataturk's philosphy, I would assume as well that if one feels
himself to be a Turk, then one is indeed a Turk..."