Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2009-10 > 1256125448

Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Illegal Voting Trials- Portuguese
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 07:44:08 EDT

Kathy,

This is only MHO but I feel certain that Vardy Collins gave the 'legend of
the Melungens' to the journalist in 1848. This man stayed at Vardy's spa
-- he said Vardy "was the 'chief cook and bottle-washer' of the Melungens"
-- that does not mean that Vardy was giving *his ancestry* or whom his
descendants had married. I doubt that Vardy considered himself a Melungen
--- Dromgoole, Humble, etc., were convinced the Collins were Indians.

Vardy's wife who was known as 'Spanish Peggy' may have been from the Pee
Dee - Melungeons who came through Newmans Ridge -- she may have been one of
the Gibsons from there that had mixed with the Portuguese Boltons, Perkins,
etc., since those Gibsons DNA does seem to show a relationship to Louisa
Co., families. One thing that seems to be clear to me is the 'legend' as
told in 1848 has been proven to be 'spot on'.

The legend were the Melungeons -- the *original* Melungeons -- were
Portuguese Adventurers ( Bolton, Perkins, etc) -- who mixed with the Indians
(Collins, Gibson etc). This article was written in 1848 -- eight years AFTER
it was testified to in Marion County that Solomon Bolton was a Portuguese,
thirty some years AFTER the Ivey trials that claimed Portuguese ancestry.
In 1833 the Nickens petitioned the Wilson Co., Tenn., court claiming their
parents were Portuguese and in Maury Co., Tenn., in 1835 Thomas Hall
received a 'race affidavit' to prove he was Portuguese. These are the people
who 'came over the mountains from SC' stopping off on Newmans Ridge where
they mixed with the Indians. Someone with personal knowledge of the ancestry
of these people told that journalist the 'legend' -- Vardy Collins as
their leader seems the most obvious person.

Joanne

In a message dated 10/20/2009 4:58:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,