Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2009-10 > 1256157554

From: "Joy King" <>
Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Illegal Voting Trials- Portuguese
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:39:14 -0400

There is no DNA test that proves Melungeon ancestry. However, by testing descendants of *known Melungeons* you are able to *prove* the ancient genetic ancestry that is still *alive today*!

I can't speak for any of the other surnames, but the male American Indian Sizemore genes started in VA in the early 1600s.
http://www.sizemorednaproject.com/history_surname.html

Nothing in the records indicates a connection to the Melungeons until the mid 1800s in TN.

Joy

Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:43 PM

DNA tests are not going to *prove* a Melungeons ancestry. You cannot take
one ancestor of 1024, do a DNA test and say they were African, Indian or
European. And there are Native American haplogroups found intermixing with
the Melungeon families. Strickland, Freeman, Sizemore, Helton, etc. We don't
know where these genes were for the last several thousand years.

This thread: