Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-01 > 1295384488

Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Melungeons & other Indians in Person County, NC
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:01:28 -0500

More on the Person County Melungeons - Saponi, Lumbee & Cherokee

"Douglas Rights, eminent Indian scholar, stated, "A remnant of Indians remains in Person County, once a part of Granville. Investigation has shown that they are a branch of, or have mixed with, the Indians of Robeson County. There is a possibility that a few Saponi remained here." (The American Indian Studies at Samford University page 15), and Chief of the remaining Cherokee in Alabama, tells of his ancestor who back migrated from Cherokee Territory to Person County, North Carolina; "There, in Person County, he discovered an Indian Community whose close ties with their neighbors had precluded any threat of removal. For the first time since the deaths of his aunt and sister, he encountered people among whom he felt he belonged, and when, late in 1851 he married a Powhatan girl named Harriet, he was determined to remain in Person County and begin a family of his own." Dr. Martin's statement can be found on page 7 of the Person County Heritage book.

“H. L. Martin, of Person Co wrote in heritage of Person County that he was a descendant of Green Martin, Sa-mi-u-sdi, as he was called before he took the name “Green” from Baptist missionary Green Rogers, was reportedly a full-blooded Cherokee who had drifted into Person County after his family had been forced to move with other Cherokees to land west of the Mississippi. Green had stayed behind to take his sick sister to his father’s people in VA, but in 1850 Green discovered an Indian community in Person Co where he settled and later married an Indian woman. His wife, Nancy, was the daughter of Colonel William Epps and Nancy Stuart, the largest landowners in the community. Epps was Cherokee and his wife was from the old Powhatan Confederacy located near Jamestown, Va. Green Martin and Harriet had seven children whose descendants make up a large portion of the Indian population in present day Person Co.” from American Indians in North Carolina:

Joanne Pezzullo

Our Native Ancestors - The Melungeon Indians
http://www.historical-melungeons.com/index.html