Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-04 > 1304045535

Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Historical Records.
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:52:15 -0400
References: <A2922BD05A4B49D6A0AF4F5D6C9D0710@toshibauser><8CDD3CEE4F6F4C4-1D58-CE8D@webmail-m021.sysops.aol.com><66BBD91AD9E64F9594AA1356A82FADBA@toshibauser><8CDD3FDF21B6408-1D58-138E0@webmail-m021.sysops.aol.com><A73C790400124030A42E0BDD42E57EFE@Jack><8CDD415F62CDD9F-F90-3935@Webmail-m118.sysops.aol.com><81E83F256A5E49CCB78584EEF5AD6C35@Jack><8CDD424BCCA920A-3DC-25362@webmail-m146.sysops.aol.com><4B06825352E14F3984C99BCFD16B5632@Jack>

## No, the grand Jury indictment calls them colored and not allowed to
vote or to testify against a white man in a court of law. Indians, or
mulattoes are not mentioned in these trials or in the state legislation
meeting conducted by John McKinney, who were discussing free Negroes
and McKinney did not mention Melungeons as reported by Droomgoole. Jack

-----------------
Vardy Collins was indicted by the Grand Jury.
I have found most of the grand Jury verdicts and they all read the same
regarding the charge.- I will read part of the Vardy Collins indictment
by the Grand Jury which leaves no doubt on what the charges were.

7 August 1846- “On the 7th day of August in the year of our lord 1845
did then and there knowingly and unlawfully did vote in an election
held under the constitution and laws of the United States of America
and the State of Tennessee for representatives, Governor and members of
the state legislature, being disqualified to vote by the laws of this
state on account of color, and from being a competent witness in our
courts of law in any case whatever except against each other.

This is only a small part of the reading of this indictment as it keeps
repeating he was a free person of color and by voting he violated the
laws of the United States and this State of Tennessee.
http://www.jgoins.com/Union6_speech.htm

which from everything I have read included, Indians, mustees and
mulattoes. They could just as likely been tried for having Indian
blood as having African blood.. we just don't know for sure, do we?

Joanne Pezzullo

Historical Melungeon Indians
http://www.historical-melungeons.com/index.html