Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-04 > 1304073566

Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Historical Records.
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 06:39:26 -0400
References: <A2922BD05A4B49D6A0AF4F5D6C9D0710@toshibauser><8CDD3CEE4F6F4C4-1D58-CE8D@webmail-m021.sysops.aol.com><66BBD91AD9E64F9594AA1356A82FADBA@toshibauser><8CDD3FDF21B6408-1D58-138E0@webmail-m021.sysops.aol.com><A73C790400124030A42E0BDD42E57EFE@Jack><8CDD415F62CDD9F-F90-3935@Webmail-m118.sysops.aol.com><81E83F256A5E49CCB78584EEF5AD6C35@Jack><8CDD424BCCA920A-3DC-25362@webmail-m146.sysops.aol.com><4B06825352E14F3984C99BCFD16B5632@Jack><8CDD42F94D0EDA7-1A80-80ED3@webmail-m145.sysops.aol.com><ECBDFE3E8B8B430BB3DF508909E700AE@Jack><8CDD43837E945C7-1A80-81D8F@webmail-m145.sysops.aol.com><22F6E821AFA7416397C2316F1200B7AC@Jack>

Jack,

It was just a few years ago you posted these paragraphs below to this list.. Free person of color clearly referred to Indians, Mulattoes and ALL PERSONS of mixed bloods and you write it was applied to the Melungeons when they were charged in 1848. Perhaps I have misread your recent posts but it appears to me you are trying to prove these people tried were ‘free Negroes’ ignoring what you wrote in 2007.

And actually I do have a clue who my William K Gibson was, his DNA matches two male descendants who have traced their lines back to Valentine Gibson of Louisa County.

" Section 32 declared All Negroes, Indians, Mulattoes, and all persons of
mixed blood, descended from Negro or Indian ancestors to the third
generation inclusive , though one ancestor of a generation may have been a
white person, whether bond or free, should be held and deemed to be
incapable in law to be a witness in any case whatsoever, except against each
other".
This law was applied by the State of Tennessee to several Melungeons , they
were charged in 1846 for voting in an election for congress, Governor, held
7th August 1845, their lawyer was John Netherland, some pleaded guilty 8,
others fate finally came to an end on Saturday 29 Jan 1848 by two separate
Jury trials, this I know from the court records.

Joanne Pezzullo

Historical Melungeon Indians
http://www.historical-melungeons.com/index.html