Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-06 > 1307044962

From: "Cleland Thorpe" <>
Subject: [MELUNGEON] Fake Indians
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 16:02:42 -0400

Joannne,
I totally agree with you. The fact that I sponsored a meeting in
Sneedville because MHS decided not to have a conference this year and
definitely not in Sneedville is what this is all about. Hancock Co. is
where the Melungeon mystery started. At least four Anthropologist and a
number of respected researchers have identified a number of families in that
area as Indians. Federal Census have some listed as Indian. Maps show the
Qualla hunting grounds come over to the Clinch which runs down the side of
Sneedville. Will Allen Drumgool and even Walter Plecker identified our
ancestors as Indian. When our ancestors were asked what they were, many
said they were Indian.
I would really like to see what proof anyone has that proves they were not
Indian. I expect I will have a conference with a Civil Rights Laywer in a
few days to see where to go from you.
Cleland

This thread: