Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-06 > 1307063447


From:
Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Fake Indians
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 21:10:47 -0400
References: <BC7F1AB41F7B4D869865F0AD4BF1A4F5@FAMILY><39A1942F04AB46B48EE1EE2E930E91F7@toshibauser>
In-Reply-To: <39A1942F04AB46B48EE1EE2E930E91F7@toshibauser>


My opinion joining any Indian tribe is a very
serious matter and even though my grandfather Goins War 1 registration card
gave his race as Indian I could never join a tribe because according to dad
he did not the tribe plus the fact his own sister and father said they were
Portuguese.



No one that I know of, not Humble, Dromgoole, or Jarvis, ever said the Goins and Minor were Indians. They did on the other hand say there was absolutely no doubt the Gibson, Collins, Bunch, Goodmans etc., were Indians.


Joanne Pezzullo

Historical Melungeon Indians
http://www.historical-melungeons.com/index.html



-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Goins <>
To:
Sent: Thu, Jun 2, 2011 8:00 pm
Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Fake Indians


Cleland you are the one making false accusations, you need to read the first
amendment. Just for those who do no know Cleland had a meeting and his
invitation was and I quote; On May 28th at the Community Center in
Sneedville a gathering of Collins and Gibson's will be discussing our
heritage.

From every Melungeon meeting I know the speakers are named including their
title, a no name expert genetic from Maryland? Why don't you name this
genetic? where he works and his educational back ground, etc When you say
two Anthropologist said they were Indians, you could probably find two who
does not agree.

This is the only Melungeon gathering that I am aware of that restricted
the Melungeons to two families. Cleland You have a right to your opinion but
Its like nobody else does. My opinion joining any Indian tribe is a very
serious matter and even though my grandfather Goins War 1 registration card
gave his race as Indian I could never join a tribe because according to dad
he did not the tribe plus the fact his own sister and father said they were
Portuguese.

I repeat, the Cherokee Website and their investigation and conclusions on
various tribes is for the readers to decide. Jack


----- Original Message -----
From: "Cleland Thorpe" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:02 PM
Subject: [MELUNGEON] Fake Indians


> Joannne,
> I totally agree with you. The fact that I sponsored a meeting in
> Sneedville because MHS decided not to have a conference this year and
> definitely not in Sneedville is what this is all about. Hancock Co. is
> where the Melungeon mystery started. At least four Anthropologist and a
> number of respected researchers have identified a number of families in
> that
> area as Indians. Federal Census have some listed as Indian. Maps show
> the
> Qualla hunting grounds come over to the Clinch which runs down the side
> of
> Sneedville. Will Allen Drumgool and even Walter Plecker identified our
> ancestors as Indian. When our ancestors were asked what they were, many
> said they were Indian.
> I would really like to see what proof anyone has that proves they were not
> Indian. I expect I will have a conference with a Civil Rights Laywer in
> a
> few days to see where to go from you.
> Cleland
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:
>
> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon
>
> Lost Colony:
>
> http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com
>
> Melungeon Website:
>
> http://www.jgoins.com/
>
> Melungeon Blogs:
>
> http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com
>
> http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com
>
>
> For list problems contact Administrator Janet Crain at:
>
> -------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon

Lost Colony:

http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com

Melungeon Website:

http://www.jgoins.com/

Melungeon Blogs:

http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com

http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com


For list problems contact Administrator Janet Crain at:

-------------------------------
To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of
the message





This thread: