Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-06 > 1307080721


From: K T JAMES <>
Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Fake Indians
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 22:58:41 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <39A1942F04AB46B48EE1EE2E930E91F7@toshibauser>


As I understood it, and I was there. this was an informal meeting of two families and not a melungeon meeting. As well as I can remember. I don't think I even heard the word "melungeon".

--- On Thu, 6/2/11, Jack Goins <> wrote:

> From: Jack Goins <>
> Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Fake Indians
> To:
> Date: Thursday, June 2, 2011, 8:00 PM
> Cleland you are the one making false
> accusations, you need to read the first
> amendment. Just for those who do no know Cleland had a
> meeting and his
> invitation was and I quote; On May 28th at the Community
> Center in
> Sneedville a gathering of Collins and Gibson's will be
> discussing our
> heritage.
>
> From every Melungeon meeting I know the speakers are named
> including their
> title, a no name expert genetic from Maryland? Why don't
> you name this
> genetic? where he works and his educational back ground,
> etc When you say
> two Anthropologist said they were Indians, you could
> probably find two who
> does not agree.
>
>     This is the only Melungeon gathering that I
> am aware of that restricted
> the Melungeons to two families. Cleland You have a right to
> your opinion but
> Its like nobody else does. My opinion joining any Indian
> tribe is a very
> serious matter and even though my grandfather Goins War 1
> registration card
> gave his race as Indian I could never join a tribe because
> according to dad
> he did not the tribe plus the fact his own sister and
> father said they were
> Portuguese.
>
>   I repeat, the Cherokee Website and their
> investigation and conclusions on
> various tribes is for the readers to decide. Jack
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Cleland Thorpe" <>
> To: <>
> Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:02 PM
> Subject: [MELUNGEON] Fake Indians
>
>
> > Joannne,
> >    I totally agree with you.  The 
> fact that I sponsored a meeting in
> > Sneedville because MHS decided not to have a
> conference this year and
> > definitely not in Sneedville is what this is all
> about.  Hancock Co. is
> > where the Melungeon mystery started.  At least
> four Anthropologist and a
> > number of respected researchers have identified a
> number of families in
> > that
> > area as Indians.  Federal Census have some listed
> as Indian.  Maps show
> > the
> > Qualla hunting grounds come over to the Clinch
> which  runs down the side
> > of
> > Sneedville. Will Allen Drumgool and even Walter
> Plecker identified our
> > ancestors as Indian.  When our ancestors were
> asked what they were, many
> > said they were Indian.
> > I would really like to see what proof anyone has that
> proves they were not
> > Indian.  I expect  I will have a conference
> with a Civil Rights Laywer in
> > a
> > few days to see where to go from you.
> > Cleland
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> > MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:
> >
> > http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon
> >
> > Lost Colony:
> >
> > http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com
> >
> > Melungeon Website:
> >
> > http://www.jgoins.com/
> >
> > Melungeon Blogs:
> >
> > http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com
> >
> > http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com
> >
> >
> > For list problems contact Administrator Janet Crain
> at:
> >
> > -------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>
> >
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> > quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:
>
> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon
>
> Lost Colony:
>
> http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com
>
> Melungeon Website:
>
> http://www.jgoins.com/
>
> Melungeon Blogs:
>
> http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com
>
> http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com
>
>
> For list problems contact Administrator Janet Crain at:
>
> -------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the
> subject and the body of the message
>


This thread: