Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-06 > 1307208645

Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] DNA and Indians
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 13:30:45 -0400

So does follow for Africans as well? Both parents could have African DNA and yet be 99% European or Native American? And if a person with African heritage was not raised as an African and didn't acquire African culture he is therefore not an African but just a person with African ancestry? Correct?

s to the second question, it is as Dr. Richard Carlson says: "It's not
about being part something but about being part *of* something." Being
an Indian is ultimately a matter of cultural heritage, not genetic
heritage. If you're raised as an Indian and acquired Indian culture,
you're an Indian no matter how small your blood quantum may be. If
you're not raised as an Indian and don't acquire Indian culture, you're
not an Indian but merely a person with Indian ancestry, no matter how
large your blood quantum is.

Joanne Pezzullo

Historical Melungeon Indians
http://www.historical-melungeons.com/index.html