Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-06 > 1307532480

From: Mike Fields <>
Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 07:28:00 -0400

It just seems like there are people that want to focus on one group of
people and claim that is our ancestry. I agree that some of these people may
have identified as Indian, but my point is they had mixed already before the
Irish and Scott immigrants ever came, and the Irish and Scott was already
mixed when they came here. I look at being Melungeon as a really good thing.

We are a living testament of history. People can see early world travel in
our heritage. I know it's not always been looked at this way, but im proud
to be a mixture of early world explorers. These people, call them what you
will, endured hardship that none of us today can even imagine. And guess
what? They survived! They made a life for themselves right here in
Appalachia. They farmed, hunted, and raised their families. I don't know the
exact genetic make up of our families, but im glad they was who they was..

This thread: