Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-06 > 1307534506

Subject: [MELUNGEON] My Two Cents
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 08:01:46 -0400

I agree with Mike and also with Kathy - there has never been a mystery. Their legend was told in 1848 and they said they were Portuguese who mixed with the Indians in the Carolinas and then with the black and the whites after going to Tennessee. Everything they said is being backed up by historical facts including court records, census', DNA, etc. They never 'forgot' who they were and they never created a cover story, they have been telling their story for 150 years -- the only mystery is why people cannot accept it.

The Portuguese and the Africans came in 1526 with deAyllon, many being left behind to join the Native tribes, meaning these 'Indians' had European and African DNA as far back as almost 500 years ago. As they mixed and mixed again and moved and mixed again they became a very mixed group. Each family needs to look for their own answers, they are not going to find it by reading definitions, history, or opinions of the Melungeons.

There are 2 DOCUMENTED groups of people who were called Melungeons and no one has presented any proof on which of these groups were originally called Melungeons. Period. Personally my bet is on the Pee Dee River gang as they are identified as Portuguese all over the country in court records for over a 100 years. Joanne

Joanne Pezzullo

Historical Melungeon Indians
http://www.historical-melungeons.com/index.html