Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-06 > 1309008245

From: "Russ Klicker" <>
Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 08:24:05 -0500

Joanne,

I noted that you refer to W.P.Grohse of Sneedville. In Glasgow, KY my
Bunches are connected to the Grose's (likely a spelling variant). Some of
my Bunches are buried in the Grose cemetery. Can you forward this e-mail
to WP? I'd like to learn more about his family.

Thanks,
Russ K.

early as 1520s with Spaniards, Portuguese, Africans, etc., with the Native
Tribes - and that mixing resulted in 'Mixed Indians Tribes' -- meaning
those Indian Tribes as early as the 1520s were carrying European and
African DNA. To imply the Melungeons have no "Indian DNA" because there
are no Q's is a gross injustice to the Melungeon descendants.

> THE CATAWBA INDIANS
> THE PEOPLE OF THE RIVER
> Douglas Summers Brown
> p46-47
> No one knows what became of the men and the fortifications along Pardo's
thousand-mile trail . Henry Savage says , "Some men were killed, some
drifted back down the trail when the captain failed to return. " Others ,
including a fifer with his wife and children stayed and threw in their lot
with their Indian hosts. Boyana himself returned to Santa Elena only to be
tomahawked by an Edisto Indian.

> In the Holston Valley of southwestern Virginia and of eastern Tennessee,
just across the mountains from the region of Old Fort and Marion, North
Carolina, is an ethnic group whose origins have aroused much speculation
but who stoutly insist that they are Portuguese. They are called
"Melungeons," (also Melungeans, Malungeons,") a term whose meaning is
unknown. Local historians believe they are the descendants of mixed
marriages between Indian women and the Spaniards who had a post near Old
Fort, North Carolina. (19)

> (19) - Information came from my father, historian *Lewis Preston Summers
(See below). This group has been described, though somewhat inaccurately,
by W.L. Worden, "Sons of the Legend," The Saturday Evening Post, Oct. 18,
1947; also, in "The Melungeons, the Mystery People of Tennessee," The
Tennessee Conservationist, August, 1959. These articles were called to my
attention by W. P. Grohse of Sneedville, Tenn., a student of the
Melungeons' origin. A connection between these people and the "Turks" near
Sumter, S.C. who may or may not have Catawba blood, has been suggested.
The Melungeons are said by some to have stopped over in South Carolina
enroute to Tennessee.
> http://rla.unc.edu/Catawba/Documents/Brown_1966.pdf
>

> *Lewis Preston Summers b.1868 d.1943 m. in 1897 Annie Katherine Barbee.
Lewis was the author of "Summers Histroy of Southwest Virginia." Lewis was
the Abingdon Post Master from 1890-1894. He began his legal practice in
1895. He was appointed U.S. district attorney, by President Harding in
1922. He was a member of the Virginia State Bar Association and the
Presbyterian Church. Summers was also chairman of the Walnut Grove Cemetery
Association, Washington Co., VA. The land for this cemetery was originally
owned by Robert Preston, Sr., whose wife Margaret Rhea Preston, and mother,
Eleanor Fairman Preston, established the cemetery. Lewis and Annie had 7
children: