Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-06 > 1309008398

From: Janet Crain <>
Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 08:26:38 -0500

Joanne; There is a lot of confusion muddying the waters here. You cannot
say; "Melungeon descendants are showing a lot of 'Indian DNA' which is
represented by several Eurpean and African haplogroups because Europeans
and Africans are known to have lived with the Indians from 1520 on."

This would not be accepted as a scientific conclusion by any professional.
Yet it seems to be what you are saying.

You could make the statement that "Melungeon descendants have been shown to
be carrying several European and African haplogroups. To date very few
Native American haplogroups have been found." This is a fact. And I see no
way this is an injustice to anyone.

No one is implying Melungeon descendants have no Indian DNA. But simply that
very little of the Y and mtDNA seen so far has been Native American. You
know people have a lot of ancestors other than their Y and mtDNA ancestors.
Haplogroups offer information on only a tiny percentage of the total
ancestry. But there's a reason for using haplogroups. When scientists speak
of haplogroups as being Asian, European, African or Native American they are
speaking in broad terms of where these people lived in isolation for many,
many thousands of years before they began migrating and mixing together. A
haplogroup takes more than 400 years to evolve.

Most people in America today are a mixture of the DNA of several formerly
isolated groups. So it would be very difficult to test a Melungeon
descendant for their autosomal DNA and prove anything. Autosomal is the DNA
from all ancestors and is mixed, shuffled and reshuffled with each
transmission. But any findings from a modern day person is going to
be representational of several non-Melungeon ancestors also. And no one
could say which one contributed what.

So you are left with the Y and mtDNA which come down virtually unchanged.
The Y in a straight paternal line and mtDNA in a straight maternal line.
Imperfect tools, but the best geneticists have and probably ever will have
due to the previously cited reasons.

Janet Crain

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 6:41 AM, <> wrote:

> It is not a leap to say there was absolutely contact and mixture from as
> early as 1520s with Spaniards, Portuguese, Africans, etc., with the Native
> Tribes - and that mixing resulted in 'Mixed Indians Tribes' -- meaning those
> Indian Tribes as early as the 1520s were carrying European and African DNA.
> To imply the Melungeons have no "Indian DNA" because there are no Q's is a
> gross injustice to the Melungeon descendants.

This thread: