Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-06 > 1309009405

Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 09:43:25 -0400

Janet

Bottom line is DNA proves NOTHING. The E haplogroup only proves African DNA back some 3000 years and nothing else. Yet you yourself have represented the Melungeons as having African DNA. Where is the genealogy to go with this? You want absolute proof the Melungeons were Indians but accept they were African because of 3000 year old DNA - which you cannot say where the DNA was for 3000 years?

? Where are freedom papers, manumissions, etc., proving any Melungeon family had African ancestors? Therefore the DNA is a big zero, alone it cannot prove anything. Look at the research by ethnologists, anthropologists, historians, etc... those records show they had Indian ancestry, specifically related to the "Craotan", "Cherokee of Robeson County" , "Lumbee" , or whatever you want to call them.

If anything the DNA proves exactly what they said in 1848 -- they were Portuguese who mixed with whites and Africans AFTER they went to Tennessee. Again in 1890 it is exactly what Dromgoole wrote and a few years later it was told again by Humble.

Joanne Pezzullo

Historical Melungeon Indians
http://www.historical-melungeons.com/index.html