Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-06 > 1309021009

Subject: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 12:56:49 -0400

It seems every time I try to post something I believe is relevant to Melungeon research someone from the MHS manages to hijack the thread. So let me repost this. The book was written in 1966 by a descendant of Lewis Preston Summers born in 1868 and a very credible witness to history. The information from the author, received either from Lewis Preston Summers or W.P. Grohse was the Melungeons were thought to be a mixture of the Spaniards and Indian women, they were related to the Turks of Sumter County -- and that they *stopped over* in South Carolina before going to Tennessee.

THE CATAWBA INDIANS
THE PEOPLE OF THE RIVER
Douglas Summers Brown
p46-47
No one knows what became of the men and the fortifications along Pardo's
thousand-mile trail . Henry Savage says , "Some men were killed, some drifted
back down the trail when the captain failed to return. " Others , including a
fifer with his wife and children stayed and threw in their lot with their Indian
hosts. Boyana himself returned to Santa Elena only to be tomahawked by an
Edisto Indian.

In the Holston Valley of southwestern Virginia and of eastern Tennessee, just
across the mountains from the region of Old Fort and Marion, North Carolina, is
an ethnic group whose origins have aroused much speculation but who stoutly
insist that they are Portuguese. They are called "Melungeons," (also
Melungeans, Malungeons,") a term whose meaning is unknown. Local historians
believe they are the descendants of mixed marriages between Indian women and the
Spaniards who had a post near Old Fort, North Carolina. (19)

(19) - Information came from my father, historian *Lewis Preston Summers (See
below). This group has been described, though somewhat inaccurately, by W.L.
Worden, "Sons of the Legend," The Saturday Evening Post, Oct. 18, 1947; also, in
"The Melungeons, the Mystery People of Tennessee," The Tennessee
Conservationist, August, 1959. These articles were called to my attention by W.
P. Grohse of Sneedville, Tenn., a student of the Melungeons' origin. A
connection between these people and the "Turks" near Sumter, S.C. who may or may
not have Catawba blood, has been suggested. The Melungeons are said by some to
have stopped over in South Carolina enroute to Tennessee.
http://rla.unc.edu/Catawba/Documents/Brown_1966.pdf

*Lewis Preston Summers b.1868 d.1943 m. in 1897 Annie Katherine Barbee. Lewis
was the author of "Summers Histroy of Southwest Virginia." Lewis was the
Abingdon Post Master from 1890-1894. He began his legal practice in 1895. He was
appointed U.S. district attorney, by President Harding in 1922. He was a member
of the Virginia State Bar Association and the Presbyterian Church. Summers was
also chairman of the Walnut Grove Cemetery Association, Washington Co., VA. The
land for this cemetery was originally owned by Robert Preston, Sr., whose wife
Margaret Rhea Preston, and mother, Eleanor Fairman Preston, established the
cemetery. Lewis and Annie had 7 children:

Joanne Pezzullo

Joanne Pezzullo

Historical Melungeon Indians
http://www.historical-melungeons.com/index.html