Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2011-06 > 1309057937


From: Don Collins <>
Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] MELUNGEON Digest, Vol 6, Issue 146
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:12:17 -0600
References: <1461343993.192634.1309030580974.JavaMail.root@md01.emerald.synacor.com>
In-Reply-To: <1461343993.192634.1309030580974.JavaMail.root@md01.emerald.synacor.com>


http://www.mixedracestudies.org/wordpress/?tag=edward-t-price

On 6/25/2011 1:36 PM, CLELAND L THORPE wrote:
> It amazes me how many people can put their nose in someone elses business, especially when a number of highly respected Phds' have pretty well documented facts about our people. No one can speculate truth away nor can they decide what someone else's ethnicity is. How I was raised and what our culture was is really my business. I can be what ever I want to be because my six brothers and I spent over 80 years defending our rights and your right. Two of my brother paid the supreme price and two of us were wounded to insure our freedom. Our native language, customs and religion has been taken away by the same group of people who wants to deny our rights. One went so far as to pronounce me unamerican and a disgrace to my military career. I would be willing to bet that same person never served a day in the military. I'm to the point of taking a few of these folks to court. Keep in mind I was approved as a member of an Native American Tribe by the Council in accordance with B
ur!
> eau of Indian Affairs. I probaby have more Indian blood than a lot of those in Oklahoma.
> I'm not sorry the big mystery about our people is solved and all the printing of Melungeon Speculations will come to an end.
>
> Cleland
> ----- Original Message -----
> From:
> To:
> Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:57:03 PM
> Subject: MELUNGEON Digest, Vol 6, Issue 146
>
>
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:
>
> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon
>
> Lost Colony:
>
> http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com
>
> Melungeon Website:
>
> http://www.jgoins.com/
>
> Melungeon Blogs:
>
> http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com
>
> http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com
>
> For list problems contact Janet Crain at:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: Melungeon Indians ()
> 2. Re: Melungeon Indians (K T JAMES)
> 3. Melungeon Indians ()
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 12:48:53 -0400
> From:
> Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
> To:
> Message-ID:<>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Janet if you have been reading them everyday it seems a rather simple answer.. either she was flogged or she wasn't. Are you saying she is not being truthful?
>
>
> I have been reading them every day.
>
> I will review them later when I have time.
>
> Jane
>
>
>
>
> Joanne Pezzullo
>
> Historical Melungeon Indians
> http://www.historical-melungeons.com/index.html
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Janet Crain<>
> To:
> Sent: Sat, Jun 25, 2011 12:42 pm
> Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
>
>
> I have been reading them every day.
>
> I will review them later when I have time.
>
> Janet
>
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM, K T JAMES<> wrote:
>
>> Janet, where were you for the last two weeks when I was very publicly
>> brought to
>> task both on the Board and privately for embracing the NA ancestry, be it
>> ever
>> so mixed or small quantum lever? Before you say, "it is simply not true"
>> you
>> need to reread all of those emails on the MHS Board and obviously I cannot
>> share
>> any private emails but I got them.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ________________________________
>> From: Janet Crain<>
>> To:
>> Sent: Sat, June 25, 2011 12:19:26 PM
>> Subject: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
>>
>> Kathy wrote:
>>
>>> It bothers me that if you acknowledge any of your Indian ancestry then you
>> get
>> Flogged. If you acknowledge your African American, well, that's expected,
>> if
>> You acknowledge your white then you are discrediting your tri-racial
>> ancestry.
>>
>>
>> Kathy; This is simply not true. Perhaps you misunderstood something someone
>> said. Who, when and where were you "flogged"?
>>
>> I cannot let this remark go by. All of us are proud of our NA. And some of
>> us are not even Melungeon, myself included. Why in the world would I want
>> to
>> discredit any ethnic group?
>>
>> Janet
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> *-------Original Message-------*
>>
>> *From:* K T JAMES<>
>> *Date:* 6/25/2011 10:32:02 AM
>> *To:*
>> *Subject:* Re: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
>>
>> Probably a more realistic way to look at the Melungeon Core dna would be by
>> family groups, i.e. where we know for instance that 5 or 6 or 10 or
>> whatever
>> are
>> the same Gibsons, we probably should count that as 1 family, same with
>> Goings,
>> same with Collins to get a better picture. There are a lot I feel sure
>> that
>> have no connection to Melungeon but have a bump or lump or something so
>> want
>> to
>> do the dna.
>>
>> It bothers me that if you acknowledge any of your Indian ancestry then you
>> get
>> flogged. If you acknowledge your african american, well, that's expected,
>> if
>> you acknowledge your white then you are discrediting your tri-racial
>> ancestry.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:
>>
>> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon
>>
>> Lost Colony:
>>
>> http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com
>>
>> Melungeon Website:
>>
>> http://www.jgoins.com/
>>
>> Melungeon Blogs:
>>
>> http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com
>>
>> http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com
>>
>>
>> For list problems contact Administrator Janet Crain at:
>>
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in
>> the subject and the body of the message
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:
>>
>> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon
>>
>> Lost Colony:
>>
>> http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com
>>
>> Melungeon Website:
>>
>> http://www.jgoins.com/
>>
>> Melungeon Blogs:
>>
>> http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com
>>
>> http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com
>>
>>
>> For list problems contact Administrator Janet Crain at:
>>
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:
>
> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon
>
> Lost Colony:
>
> http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com
>
> Melungeon Website:
>
> http://www.jgoins.com/
>
> Melungeon Blogs:
>
> http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com
>
> http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com
>
>
> For list problems contact Administrator Janet Crain at:
>
> -------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of
> the message
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 09:51:43 -0700 (PDT)
> From: K T JAMES<>
> Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
> To:
> Message-ID:<>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>
> That is great.? I suggest you do that.? You asked me who, where and when.? Does
> that mean you want them forwarded to this board??
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Janet Crain<>
> To:
> Sent: Sat, June 25, 2011 12:42:08 PM
> Subject: Re: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
>
> I have been reading them every day.
>
> I will review them later when I have time.
>
> Janet
>
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM, K T JAMES<> wrote:
>
>> Janet, where were you for the last two weeks when I was very publicly
>> brought to
>> task both on the Board and privately for embracing the NA ancestry, be it
>> ever
>> so mixed or small quantum lever?? Before you say, "it is simply not true"
>> you
>> need to reread all of those emails on the MHS Board and obviously I cannot
>> share
>> any private emails but I got them.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ________________________________
>> From: Janet Crain<>
>> To:
>> Sent: Sat, June 25, 2011 12:19:26 PM
>> Subject: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
>>
>> ? ? Kathy wrote:
>>
>>> It bothers me that if you acknowledge any of your Indian ancestry then you
>> get
>> Flogged.? If you acknowledge your African American, well, that's expected,
>> if
>> You acknowledge your white then you are discrediting your tri-racial
>> ancestry.
>>
>>
>> Kathy; This is simply not true. Perhaps you misunderstood something someone
>> said. Who, when and where were you "flogged"?
>>
>> I cannot let this remark go by. All of us are proud of our NA. And some of
>> us are not even Melungeon, myself included. Why in the world would I want
>> to
>> discredit any ethnic group?
>>
>> Janet
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> *-------Original Message-------*
>>
>> *From:* K T JAMES<>
>> *Date:* 6/25/2011 10:32:02 AM
>> *To:*
>> *Subject:* Re: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
>>
>> Probably a more realistic way to look at the Melungeon Core dna would be by
>> family groups, i.e. where we know for instance that 5 or 6 or 10 or
>> whatever
>> are
>> the same Gibsons, we probably should count that as 1 family, same with
>> Goings,
>> same with Collins to get a better picture.? There are a lot I feel sure
>> that
>> have no connection to Melungeon but have a bump or lump or something so
>> want
>> to
>> do the dna.
>>
>> It bothers me that if you acknowledge any of your Indian ancestry then you
>> get
>> flogged.? If you acknowledge your african american, well, that's expected,
>> if
>> you acknowledge your white then you are discrediting your tri-racial
>> ancestry.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:
>>
>> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon
>>
>> Lost Colony:
>>
>> http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com
>>
>> Melungeon Website:
>>
>> http://www.jgoins.com/
>>
>> Melungeon Blogs:
>>
>> http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com
>>
>> http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com
>>
>>
>> For list problems contact Administrator Janet Crain at:
>>
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in
>> the subject and the body of the message
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:
>>
>> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon
>>
>> Lost Colony:
>>
>> http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com
>>
>> Melungeon Website:
>>
>> http://www.jgoins.com/
>>
>> Melungeon Blogs:
>>
>> http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com
>>
>> http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com
>>
>>
>> For list problems contact Administrator Janet Crain at:
>>
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:
>
> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon
>
> Lost Colony:
>
> http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com
>
> Melungeon Website:
>
> http://www.jgoins.com/
>
> Melungeon Blogs:
>
> http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com
>
> http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com
>
>
> For list problems contact Administrator Janet Crain at:
>
> -------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in
> the subject and the body of the message
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 12:56:49 -0400
> From:
> Subject: [MELUNGEON] Melungeon Indians
> To:
> Message-ID:<>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> It seems every time I try to post something I believe is relevant to Melungeon research someone from the MHS manages to hijack the thread. So let me repost this. The book was written in 1966 by a descendant of Lewis Preston Summers born in 1868 and a very credible witness to history. The information from the author, received either from Lewis Preston Summers or W.P. Grohse was the Melungeons were thought to be a mixture of the Spaniards and Indian women, they were related to the Turks of Sumter County -- and that they *stopped over* in South Carolina before going to Tennessee.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> THE CATAWBA INDIANS
> THE PEOPLE OF THE RIVER
> Douglas Summers Brown
> p46-47
> No one knows what became of the men and the fortifications along Pardo's
> thousand-mile trail . Henry Savage says , "Some men were killed, some drifted
> back down the trail when the captain failed to return. " Others , including a
> fifer with his wife and children stayed and threw in their lot with their Indian
> hosts. Boyana himself returned to Santa Elena only to be tomahawked by an
> Edisto Indian.
>
>
> In the Holston Valley of southwestern Virginia and of eastern Tennessee, just
> across the mountains from the region of Old Fort and Marion, North Carolina, is
> an ethnic group whose origins have aroused much speculation but who stoutly
> insist that they are Portuguese. They are called "Melungeons," (also
> Melungeans, Malungeons,") a term whose meaning is unknown. Local historians
> believe they are the descendants of mixed marriages between Indian women and the
> Spaniards who had a post near Old Fort, North Carolina. (19)
>
>
> (19) - Information came from my father, historian *Lewis Preston Summers (See
> below). This group has been described, though somewhat inaccurately, by W.L.
> Worden, "Sons of the Legend," The Saturday Evening Post, Oct. 18, 1947; also, in
> "The Melungeons, the Mystery People of Tennessee," The Tennessee
> Conservationist, August, 1959. These articles were called to my attention by W.
> P. Grohse of Sneedville, Tenn., a student of the Melungeons' origin. A
> connection between these people and the "Turks" near Sumter, S.C. who may or may
> not have Catawba blood, has been suggested. The Melungeons are said by some to
> have stopped over in South Carolina enroute to Tennessee.
> http://rla.unc.edu/Catawba/Documents/Brown_1966.pdf
>
>
> *Lewis Preston Summers b.1868 d.1943 m. in 1897 Annie Katherine Barbee. Lewis
> was the author of "Summers Histroy of Southwest Virginia." Lewis was the
> Abingdon Post Master from 1890-1894. He began his legal practice in 1895. He was
> appointed U.S. district attorney, by President Harding in 1922. He was a member
> of the Virginia State Bar Association and the Presbyterian Church. Summers was
> also chairman of the Walnut Grove Cemetery Association, Washington Co., VA. The
> land for this cemetery was originally owned by Robert Preston, Sr., whose wife
> Margaret Rhea Preston, and mother, Eleanor Fairman Preston, established the
> cemetery. Lewis and Annie had 7 children:
>
>
> Joanne Pezzullo
>
>
> Joanne Pezzullo
>
> Historical Melungeon Indians
> http://www.historical-melungeons.com/index.html
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> To contact the MELUNGEON list administrator, send an email to
> .
>
> To post a message to the MELUNGEON mailing list, send an email to .
>
> __________________________________________________________
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body of the
> email with no additional text.
>
>
> End of MELUNGEON Digest, Vol 6, Issue 146
> *****************************************
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> MELUNGEON Mailing List Archives:
>
> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index?list=melungeon
>
> Lost Colony:
>
> http://the-lost-colony.blogspot.com
>
> Melungeon Website:
>
> http://www.jgoins.com/
>
> Melungeon Blogs:
>
> http://www.melungeon=historical-societymhs.blogspot.com
>
> http://www.historical-melungeons.blogspot.com
>
>
> For list problems contact Administrator Janet Crain at:
>
> -------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>


This thread: