NA-IROQUOIS-L Archives

Archiver > NA-IROQUOIS > 2006-09 > 1158703157

From: "Olive Tree Genealogy" <>
Subject: Re: [NA-IROQUOIS] abenaki and dutch mohawk lines
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:59:17 -0400

On 19 Sep 2006 at 16:34, wrote:

> I havent even begun to research this line yet, but I have
> Van Slyke in my line. Wondering if there was a connection.
> I was under the impression that they were English. I could
> be wrong.
>
> Samuel Van Slyke was born in New York in 1796. His son
> Peter Van Slyke was born in IL 1840. His grandaughter
> Elizabeth Van Slyke (Hurst) was born 1861 in KS.

I don't know if you saw my message to Carolee. I have done
extensive research on the Van Slyke line (they were Dutch,
descended from Cornelis Antonissen Van Slyke and his
nephew) Did you visit my website
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/surnames/vslyke.shtml ?

There were several Samuel Van Slykes born in the time
period you gave (1796) with sons Peter. I'm pretty sure
that the one you want is Samuel born ca 1799 to Pieter Van
Slyke and Elizabeth Barheit. This Samuel went to Illinois
and died there Dec 1850. His wife was Elizabeth (surname
unknown to me)

Their son Peter was born in Illnois but died in Kansas. He
is found with his brother George in 1870

1870 United States Federal Census > Kansas > Cherokee >
Sheridan
Van Slyke, George 26 farmer b IL
Lucretia 21 b IL
Samuel 1/12 b KS
next door
Van Slyke, Peter 30 farmer b IL
Catharine 28 b IL
Elizabeth 8 b IL
Peter Jr 7 b IL
John 4 b IL

If this is the correct Samuel>Peter>Elizabeth, I can take
your Van Slyke lineage back through Samuel's father
(Pieter), grandfather and so on back 6 more generations.

Your line is from Cornelis' nephew Willem Pieterse Van
Slyke who settled in Kinderhook NY. It was Cornelis who
married the Mohawk woman Ots-Toch, not his nephew.

I can also take the spousal lines back several
generations. This is all in the book published Feb. 2005
called "New Netherland Settlers: Willem Pieterse Van Slyke
aka Neef - A genealogy to five generations of the
descendants of Willem Pieterse Van Slyke who settled in New
Netherland (New York) in 1660"

Lorine

-- Lorine McGinnis Schulze

* Olive Tree Genealogy (Ships Passenger Lists)
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/
* Naturalization Records
http://naturalizationrecords.com/
* Images of Ships Lists