NATIVEAMERICAN-DELMARVA-L Archives

Archiver > NATIVEAMERICAN-DELMARVA > 2001-02 > 0982607676

From: "Bruce Sampsel" <>
Subject: [NativeAmericanDelmarva] Re: John Van Meter and Seneca wife
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:34:36 -0500

This land is probably located around Seneca County, Ohio, and the Van Meters are not, to my knowledge, eastern MD in origin, BUT as so many families overlap thought I'd send it to you folks in case it could help some one along their way.
Subject: John Van Meter and Seneca wife

Don't know if you are collecting on the Van Meters or not... some of them pop up at times with Mounts. Here's a nice tidbit I found on the Indian Treaties site:
INDIAN AFFAIRS: LAWS AND TREATIES, compiled and edited by Charles J. Kappler, Washington, Governement Printing Office, 1904

Treaty with the Wyandot, etc. 1817 (Ohio Territory):
In the section on grants to Indian connections, "...To John Van Meter, who was taken prisoner by the Wyandot, and who has ever since lived among them, and has married a Seneca woman, and to his wife's three brothers, Senecas, who now reside on Honey Creek, one thousand acres of land...."

Brenda

This thread: