NC-IREDELL-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > NC-IREDELL-ROOTS > 1999-04 > 0924178487

From: <>
Subject: CLARKE, Henry and Louis; Statesville, ca 1900
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 08:14:47 EDT

Even though supplied with many references from Irene Clanton Black's books by
a wonderful NC genealogist, I am still at a brick wall tracing my
grandfather, Louis Clarke. Known: he and his brother Henry lived in
Statesville from around 1890 through about 1910-1915. Both lived on Water
Street. Louis owned a cigar factory and Henry was his salesman. Louis had
only one child, my father, but Henry had 7 who survived: Emile, Soloman,
Carrie, Miriam, Samuel, Ida, and Corrine. The first 4 were born in SC and
the rest in Statesville.

The cigar factory burned around 1910, as in 1913 Mrs. Henry Clarke lived in
Richmond, VA and Louis and his family moved to NY.

Both Louis and Henry lived in SC before moving to Statesville, and both were
born in Germany. Family lore says their name was Schreiber originally.

Would love to contact any descendants of Henry or get any scrap on
information that would help uncover when and from where these two came to the
US.

A. L. Clarke

This thread: