NC-PCFR-L Archives

Archiver > NC-PCFR > 2002-03 > 1016073534

From: Trish Worthington Cobb <>
Subject: Re: [NC-PCFR] MURPHEY
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:39:48 -0500

About this Murphey Cemetery:

> N. E. Murphy, Wife of J. L. Murphy, Daughter of Winsor & Clara Dixon
> b. 6-8-1836 d. 3-8-1883

Nancy Eugenia ³Nannie² DIXON, b. 9 Jun 1836,
md. 16 Sep 1857 Jos. L. MURPHREY
Source: Murphy, Bill, Dobbs County Bible Records, Vol. I., Heritage Place,
Lenoir Community College, Kinston, NC.

Questions:
Is Guilford a part of the William and Lucretia ³Lucy² Rigney Murphey line?

Does anyone know Guilford's parents?

Ernest Murphey lists Guilford as son of a William, but he also lists William
as the son of John "Capt. Jack" Murphrey, and according to Bill Murphey,
this William near Pitt/Craven line is not Capt. Jack's son. See below.

Guilford is not mentioned in the William Spencer Murphey bible.

€ The late Bill Murphy, who descends from Capt. John Murphrey, and has done
extensive research on the Murphrey/Murphy families of the area, writes in
Dobbs County Bible Records, Vol. V, pp. 35-37,
#18 WILLIAM SPENCER MURPHY RECORD (1768-1867):
³William S. Murphy was a son of William Murphy and Lucretia Rigney of
Craven County. His wife was Susannah, a daughter of Capt. David Roach and
the widow of John Rice. William S. Murphy lived for several years in Greene
County prior to settling in the St. John¹s area of Pitt County. Several of
his children and grandchildren lived in Greene County.
³This record was kept by Mary Elizabeth Murphy (Mrs. Shadrach Wooten)
on the flyleaves of her music book which was later owned by Lucy M. Murphy
of Newport Richey, Fla.
³The descendants of William S. Murphy claim that his father William
Murphy was the son of Capt. John Murphrey of Beare Garden in Greene County,
but this seems to be in error.
³William Murphy is shown in the 1769 Craven Tax List and the 1790
Craven Census. His will was written in Cumberland County, N.C. on Jan. 6,
1794 and probated there at March Court, 1794.
³The 1769 Dobbs County Tax list shows William Murphrey in the household
of his father Capt. John Murphrey. He is also listed in the 1790 Dobbs
County Census, the 1800 Greene County Census, and the 1816 Greene County Tax
List. He last appears as a widower with 17 slaves in the 1820 Census, thus
dying sometime after that year.
³It would thus appear that William Murphy of Craven County and William
Murphrey of Dobbs/Greene County were not one in the same, but two diferent
men.²

€ Crown to (William Tryon, Royal Governor) Patent Book 23
6612-p. 230--WILLIAM MURPHEY
470 acres in Craven, joining Swifts Creek, JOSEPH BRYANT, EDMUND PEARCE.Š