NC-PCFR-L Archives

Archiver > NC-PCFR > 2006-08 > 1155962733


From: "Roger E. Kammerer" <>
Subject: FORGOTTEN PLACES IN PITT COUNTYPART I
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 04:45:33 +0000


FORGOTTEN PLACES IN PITT COUNTYPART I
Coxville, Jolly Old Field, Hanrahan, Blount Hall

The following are small sketches of some of the little villages that once
dotted Pitt County but now lie forgotten in history.

COXVILLE

Once known as Turkey Cock, Coxville was located two miles north of
Williss Bridge across Swift Creek. It was named in honor of William Cox,
who in 1850 opened a store there on Turkey Cock Swamp. In January 1852,
William Cox sold out his store to his sons, Sylvester and E. W. Cox. That
same year William Cox and his sons got up a petition to establish a postal
route from Hookerton, Greene County, via Fountain Hill, Ridge Spring,
Johnsons Mill, Coxville, to Greenville. The post office was established on
September 10, 1853, with Calvin Cox as first postmaster. The next
postmaster was Archibald Cox who served from September 12, 1859, until the
post office was discontinued on December 6, 1866. The post office was
re-established on August 15, 1867, with Archibald Cox again. His
appointment didnt last long and on October 2, 1867, Isaac Hardee was
appointed postmaster. On February 11, 1870, Edward Smith was appointed
next, but the post office was again discontinued on May 18, 1870.
The Coxville post office was again re-established on February 3, 1871, with
Guilford W. Cox as postmaster. He removed the office from Coxs store to
his residence one mile northeast.
On July 14, 1873, William H. Smith was appointed postmaster and removed the
office to his residence. The last postmaster was William S. Roach who
served from April 27, 1885, until the post office was discontinued in 1906.
Coxville never really grew and never had more than one or two stores. A
temperance lodge was started there in March 1884. The leading farmers in
the area in 1883 were Sylvester Cox and G. W. Cox. Also in 1883, L. B.
Burney and a black man, Warren Hardee had a brickyard. In 1901, there were
three cotton gins in the Coxville community operated by J. A. Hardy, W. R.
Corey & Bro., and F. P. Wayne. By 1902, P. A. Wayne had a gristmill near
Coxville.

JOLLY OLD FIELD

In the early 1880s, Jolly Old Field was the most important landing on the
Neuse River and Contentnea Creek, excepting Kinston and Snow Hill. More
produce was shipped from there and goods received than any other landing in
this area. When the river was low, the merchants at Hookerton, Scuffleton,
and Snow Hill got their goods at Jolly Old Field.
The Neuse and Trent River Steamboat Company purchased the Jolly Old Field
landing in May 1882 and they built a large warehouse and wharf there. In
1885, the Red Line of steamboats built a warehouse there, too. There were
two merchants there in 1884, J. E. Speirs grocery store and Major Smiths
restaurant.
With the coming of the railroad to Pitt County in 1890, the use of the
steamboats began to fade and the landing was discontinued.

HANRAHAN

Hanrahan, a small community north of Grifton, was located near Littlefield
and was four miles above Centreville. Hanrahan was named for James A.
Hanrahan (1831-1891) who had a store and farm there as early as 1879. The
area was a well-known agricultural area that grew a lot of rice and wheat.
There were also many apple and peach orchards.
A post office was established at Hanrahan on March 10, 1879, with Sarah R.
Collins as postmistress. The post office was discontinued July 13, 1889.
In 1884 Miss Maggie W. Smith taught school in Hanrahan, and in 1890 the
railroad came through. After that Hanrahan began to grow. The post office
was re-established in Hanrahans store in April 1898, but when it was
finally discontinued is unknown.
In 1884, Hanrahan consisted of a general supply store, a steam gin and
gristmill, and a flour mill. J. T. Worthington promoted the growth of wheat
in the area and built the flour mill there. This mill later became known as
the Hanrahan Milling Company. This company ended in 1913.
In the early 1880s, Warren McLawhorn began making wine at his vineyard near
Hanrahan from which he realized a handsome profit. Some of his wine was
exhibited at the Raleigh Exposition in October 1884.


BLOUNT HALL

Blount Hall, once located north of Grifton, was the ancestral home of the
Blount family. The house was built about 1756 by Jacob Blount (1726-1789).
It was a popular gathering place for the people in the area and was said to
have been the scene of many prominent social and political functions.
A post office was established there on January 15, 1833, with William L.
Blount as postmaster. The post office was discontinued September 6, 1833. In
the early 1830s, a ferry was located near Blount Hall over Great Contentnea
Creek. The ferry cost five cents for a man and horse to cross. John
Washington owned a store on each side of the creek and rented them out to
different businessmen. In December 1836, William L. Blount and 549 others
in the community got up a petition to build a bridge there. Blount Hall was
destroyed by fire on the evening of March 8, 1963. Roger
Kammerer



This thread: