NC-PCFR-L ArchivesArchiver > NC-PCFR > 2009-10 > 1256503741
From: "Roger E. Kammerer" <>
Subject: [NC-PCFR] J. E. Winslow, Leading Greenville Citizen
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:49:01 +0000
J. E. Winslow, Leading Greenville Citizen
Uptown Greenville has again been graced with another unique destination place. In this city of chain restaurants and “the same ole stuff as everywhere else,” it's not a honky-tonk, office space or tattoo parlor. Located in one of Greenville’s landmark buildings on the corner of Fifth and Washington Streets, Winslow’s Tavern, Deli and Market, is an achievement in re-adaptive use. With its exposed brick walls and large wood ceiling beams, Winslow's Tavern features a two-story vaulted ceiling, large windows, wood floors and the addition of a large mahogany bar. To anchor its hometown feel, large photographs of the people and places of old Greenville hang on the walls.
Winslow’s Tavern was named in honor J. E. Winslow, a leading Greenville citizen, who constructed the building in 1910 as a horse and mule sales stable. Through the years the building served as a car repair business and then a car dealership, and the last half-century as Globe Hardware. To anyone familiar with Greenville, the name Globe Hardware was an institution, where anyone could find “the hard to find.” In Jan. 1947, James L. Harris, Jr., Van C. Fleming, Jr., E. H. Taft, Jr. M. K. Blount and F. L. Blount bought the stock and fixtures of the Baker & Davis Hardware Store and opened the Globe Hardware Company. By 1950, Globe Hardware had a large toy and gift department, managed by Van C. Fleming, Jr. and also contracted plumbing work. This was eventually phased out in the 1960’s. In 1954, Herbert M. Wilkerson, Sr. and his wife Martha came into the firm and eventually bought out the other partners by 1968. In 1977, Herb Wilkerson, Jr. joined the firm and in time became the owner of Globe Hardware. With the sudden death of Herb Wilkerson, Jr. in 2004, his wife Jean sold the building. After changing hands several times, this wonderful old building has found a new life as Winslow’s Tavern.
J. E. Winslow is still remembered with great respect by older residents and having given you a history of the building, I would like to give you a history of the man.
Jasper Edgar Winslow (1881-1958) was a native of Quaker Neck, Wayne Co., NC, the son of Abner Thomas Winslow and Sarah Woolard Cox. The Winslow family moved to Kansas City, Missouri in 1893, where Abner was in the horse business. While attending high school there, Jasper worked in the mail room of the Kansas City Star newspaper. He attended Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana, where he met his future wife, Effie Anna Small. After graduation from college, Winslow returned to Kansas City and went into banking. Not being happy in that line of work, he went back into the horse and mule business in which he was raised. He returned to North Carolina in 1902 and settled in Greenville, NC in 1903 where he established a large horse, mule and livestock business. At one time he owned 25 Winslow Stables scattered throughout the South, buying large quantities of horses and mules. In Pitt County, Winslow acquired large tracts of land and became a prosperous farmer and fertilizer manufacturer, becoming one of the largest tobacco growers in NC.
In Aug. 1904, Winslow married to his college sweetheart, Effie Anna Small, and lived first on Greene Street behind Jarvis Memorial Methodist Church and by 1920 lived in beautiful mansion at 424 West Fifth Street. Mr. and Mrs. Winslow had six children.
About 1905, J. E. Winslow went into co-partnership with a Mr. Mills and operated sales stables in both Greenville and Ayden. According to a newspaper feature on the stables in 1908, Winslow had between 50 and 100 horses and mules at any given time. He would receive a train car load of horses and mules a week each spring and late summer from the western horse markets.
In 1910, Winslow built a brick livery and sales stable on Fifth Street and another adjoining brick building known as the “Winslow Building.” In 1919, Winslow remodeled his stables on Fifth Street to lease to the Utility Garage and Machine Shop.
In May 1919, Winslow went into co-partnership with a banker named Mark L. Turnage, under the style of “Turnage & Winslow,” operating the largest farm supply company in Greenville. They built a two story brick building, 45ft. x 100 ft., on Clark Street near the Norfolk and Southern Depot. In 1920, Winslow was one of the incorporators of Blount-Harvey Company and organized the Winslow-Webb Motor Company.
By 1936, the Turnage & Winslow Co. store, warehouse and stables were located on Watauga Ave. and the Norfolk-Southern Railroad. They sold general merchandise, fertilizer, buggies, wagons, harnesses, and all kinds of farm equipment. On the evening of Feb. 2, 1937, the store burned down, doing nearly $15,000 damage to the building and equipment.
In 1949, J. E. Winslow moved his business out four miles from Greenville on the Pactolus Highway. After he died in 1958, the J. E. Winslow Company was continued on by his son, Hugh Cornelius Winslow, until it dissolved in 1964.
J. E. Winslow was a strong advocate for the farmer and led a useful life. He was the chairman of the Pitt County Board of Agriculture for 20 years. He was a leader in the formation of the N. C. Farm Bureau, was elected its first president, served for 10 years and was named President Emeritus. He also served as a member of the State Board of Agriculture, a director of the Flue-Cured Tobacco Stabilization Corporation, and became a charter member of the Board of Directors of Tobacco Associates. On a national scale, Winslow was on the Executive Committee of the Tobacco Growers Advisory Committee for four States. When President Roosevelt formed a committee to rebuild agriculture in the 1930’s, it was Winslow who wrote the provisions for tobacco controls.
On March 4, 1951, J. E. Winslow was named “Tar Heel of the Week” by the Raleigh News and Observer. In 1968, the Pitt County Farm Bureau building was dedicated to him, and he was elected to the NC Agricultural Hall of Fame.
Winslow was also active in community affairs being a member of the Greenville Board of Aldermen and was Mayor Pro-tem. He was one of three original trustees, a charter member and club president of the Rotary Club. He was also a director of the National Bank, president of Hood System Industrial Bank, was a stockholder and director of the Central Merchantile Company, member of the Masonic Lodge, Greenville Chamber of Commerce, member of the Greenville School Board and on board of trustees of Sheppard Memorial Library. Winslow was a member of and on the Board of Stewards of Jarvis Memorial Methodist Church and was also active in the local Boy Scouts.
Windows 7: Simplify your PC. Learn more.
|[NC-PCFR] J. E. Winslow, Leading Greenville Citizen by "Roger E. Kammerer" <>|