NCANSON-L Archives

Archiver > NCANSON > 2000-07 > 0962486111

From: "Sandy Fine" <>
Subject: Surname: Liles/Lyles
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 17:15:11 -0400

I am researching the Liles/Lyles family. According to census records my
gg-grandfather, James Liles was born in North Carolina. Where in North
Carolina I don't know. He was born March 13, 1803 and the earliest records
I have of his in the 1830 Census when he and his wife and daughter were in
Roane County, TN. He may be related to a James Liles (b. bet 1780-1790) who
was in neighboring Knox County, TN in 1830 and 1840.

A John Liles who married Nancy Soward (widow of William Soward) in 1790
moved from the Anson area to this area of East Tennessee about 1812. My
James Liles was living next door to Nancy son's by her first marriage,
William Soward, in 1830. According to application for Rev Pension, John was
married prior to Nancy and I would like to find out if he had a family by
his first wife and if there is any relationship between John and my
gg-grandfather.

James and Mary (Richardson) Liles of Anson Co, had a son James. They
married in 1774 and the James Liles in Knox Co was born between 1780 and
1790. Could he be their son.

In 1804 there are two marriages listed for a James Liles, one to Lydia
Chiles and one to Elizabeth Linsey. Did James and Mary's son marry either
or both of these women? I think James (of Knox Co, TN) wife's name was
Elizabeth. He was not on the 1850 Knox Co, TN census but a 60 year old
Elizabeth Liles was living in the household of Zachariah Liles in Knox Co,
TN. I believe Zachariah is my gg-grandfather's brother and that he married
my gg-grandfather's sister-in-law, Sarah Huffman. In 1860 an Elizabeth
Liles was living in the household of my gg-grandfather's daughter Elizabeth
(Liles) Ward in Blount County, TN.

My gg-grandfather, James Liles married a 1)Mary Kimbrell/Kimball. I believe
she is the daughter of Peterson Kimbrell. Were there any Kimbrell's in
Anson Co? I have not been able to find a record of their marriage sometime
prior to 1830.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sandy (Liles) Fine
Tennessee