NCBLADEN-L Archives

Archiver > NCBLADEN > 2000-11 > 0973301139

From: "Dee Thompson" <>
Subject: [NCBLADEN-L] Bladen_County_lookup
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:25:39 -0500

Charlene,
In the first entry (# 17) your Benjamin is shown as the son of the seventh child of Sarah and William Bryan,

>From # 17
275 WILLIAM BRYAN AND HIS FAMILY
The Bladen County Bryan family history began in 1739 when Thomas Bryan was granted 200 acres of land on Brown Marsh. During the following years county records show many land patents to his sons, some of which where to Philemon on Brown Marsh, Edward on Brown's Creek, John on Baker's Creek, Stephen on Boot Branch, Thomas, Jr. on Thomas Bryan's Swamp and William on Brown Marsh. Thomas and his sons, except for Thomas, Jr. appear in the 1763 Bladen County Tax List. Thomas made his will 1766, probated in 1767, in which he named his wife, sons named above, and daughters, Sarah Simson, Elizabeth O., and Amy Baldwin as heirs and devised to them either land, money, or slaves. An inventory of the Secretary of State, includes cattle, sheep, horses, swine, farming tools, household furniture and books.
Philemon Bryan, son of Thomas Bryan, is listed in the 1763 and 1784 Tax List and the 1790 Census of Bladen County. A land grant for 200 acres on Brown Marsh, issued to him during the term of Gabriel Johnston, was sold by him and "wife, Elizabeth," in 1771, In 1784 he was taxed in Captain Irvin's district. William Bryan, Nathaniel Bryan, Sarah, wife of Richard Lamb, and Susannah, wife of Noble Smith, sold equal shares of his land after 1811 when "deceased" was written by his name on a deed.
William Bryan was a soldier of the American Revolution. According to his pension application, he was born on Brown Marsh on May 14, 1757. He volunteered as a Private in Captain William Hendon's company of Bladen militia in 1776 when the loyalists were gathering at Cross Creek, Captain Hendon's company marched "from their company ground at Richard Smith's plantation on Baker's Creek" to Rockfish Creek where they joined other troops under the command of General James Moore. Their company was assigned to guard duty at the mouth of Rockfish until after General McDonald's army had retreated to Campbellton and crossed the Cape Fear. The company was then ordered to descend the river in a boat to "the neighborhood of Elizabethtown." From there they marched to Wilmington "to protect it from the Tories."
William Bryan recalled terms of enlistment in 1777 and 1781 and said he had served at other times but "owing to the state of the country, families were obliged to make frequent removals" and his discharges had been lost. His final discharge was dated February, 1782.
During the war William married Sarah Singletary (1760-24 June 1839), daughter of Joseph Singletary and Mary Fitzrandolph. In 1790 and 1797 he purchased two tracts of land south of present day Tar Heel where they established their home plantation. Here he damned Black Swamp and Reedy Meadow Swamp to create a millpond where, about 1801, he constructed water powered mills. Entries in his ledger, suggest that the blacksmith shop served not only the home plantation but a wide circle of neighbors, who paid to have tools and saddles made and tools repaired.
Items of his personal property sold after his death give insight on the activities of the plantation: one grindstone; various types of files; livestock; farm, shoe, cooper, and blacksmith tools; carriage wheels; a young bay mare and saddle; twenty-three books, including a prayer book and a large Bible; tables; chairs; chests; bedsteads; a slate desk; and clock.
Sarah and William Bryan had nine children, eight of whom migrated South.
Philemon (1779-January 1858) [1], who married Nancy Ann Hawthorne, daughter of John Hawthorne, a Revolutionary Soldier, moved to Wayne County, Georgia. He served in the War of 1812 as a private soldier in Captain Allen Took's militia company on the Pulaski County frontier; was clerk of Superior Court of Wayne County; was one of the early settlers of Appling County and served as a Justice of the Inferior Court; was one of six citizens empowered by the Georgia Legislature to set up the new county of Ware; and served as Justice of the Inferior Court and State Senator from Ware. In 1827 he moved his family to Hamilton County, Territory of Florida, where he served as a county commissioner and inspector for "John Bryan's Old Store Precinct #5 in Hamilton County" in the first statewide election. Philemon also served three tours of duty in the Seminole Wars. A primitive Baptist, he joined Concord Church and later Prospect Church. Their children were David OR. Bryan, Lenora!
Bryan, Nathaniel Bryan, John Milton Bryan, William James Bryan, Lewis Hawthorne Bryan, Sarah Ann Bryan, Joseph DO. Bryan, Sydney Bryan, and Nancy Bryan.
Benjamin Bryan (1781-after 1865) [2], who married Pamela, migrated to East Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Their children were William Adam Bryan, Nathan Lewis Bryan, Benjamin Franklin Bryan, Milly Bryan, Mary Bryan, Olive Bryan, Nancy Bryan, and Ruth Bryan. Benjamin was a deputy sheriff and jailer.
William Bryan, Jr. (1784-April 1860) [3], who married Sarah Frances Evers, daughter of James Evers, Sr. and Sarah Hester, migrated to Monroe County, Georgia, where he was Justice of the Peace beginning in 1824. Their children were Jasper Bryan. Sophia Bryan, Nancy Bryan, Norman Bryan, and William Bryan.
Sarah Bryan (1787-after 1841) [4], who married William Towler, migrated to Hamilton County, Florida before 1737. Their children were Timothy Towler, Elizabeth Towler, Sarah Towler, Samuel Towler, Leona Towler, Lewis Towler, Malinda Towler, and Hinton Towler.
Prudence Bryan (1789-before 1841) [5], who married John White, son of William and Ann Simpson White, migrated to Monroe County, Georgia. Their children were David White, Mary Louise White, William White, Sarah White, Joseph White, and James B. White.
Joseph Bryan (24 February 1790-20 April 1846) [6], who married Sophia Simpson (26 February 1793-11 December 1862), daughter of Thomas Simpson (Jr.?) and Nancy Baldwin, migrated to Wayne County, Georgia, to Appling, later Ware County, where Joseph was elected Clerk of Superior Court. In 1827 they moved to Hamilton County, Florida where he served several enlistments in the Seminole Wars. Joseph and Sophia were members of Swift Creek Methodist Church at White Springs where they are buried. Their children were Milton James Bryan, Thomas Bryan, and Matilda Bryan.
Lewis Bryan (1795-after 1865) [7], who married Susan Simpson, sister to Sophia Simpson [wife of # 6], migrated to Hamilton County, Florida about 1839, moved back to Thomas County, Georgia when Indian raids erupted in 1840, and returned to Florida before 1850. There children were Haynes Bryan, Clark Bryan, Benjamin Bryan, Nathaniel Bryan, and Elizabeth Bryan.
James Bryan (1799-9 December 1863) [8], who married first Maria, migrated to Hamilton County, Florida before 1830. James served in the Seminole Wars. Their children were Sarah/Sallie Ann, William B., Nathan, Nancy, and John Bryan. James married Elizabeth Starling; their child was Lewis Bryan, James died in Columbia County, Florida.
Nathan Bryan (22 January 1801-18 December 1883) [9], who married Margaret (Peggy) Allen (17 February 1811-22 January 1894), daughter of Ephraim Allen and Ann Scriven, remained in Bladen County, purchased their father's estate from his brothers and sisters, engaged in the naval stores industry, and expanded his land holdings. He participated in community and county affairs and joined the Methodist Church. Their children follow. . . . . . [the remaining paragraphs deal with these children of Nathan and Peggy Bryan].
Submitted by Charles Finley (Chuck) Bryan, P.O.Box 321, Elizabethtown, NC 28337. [Sources are listed]

Charlene, this will get you started. I'll have to do the Georgia portion at the Archives. All of my Georgia books are much earlier than your dates.
Dee

For details on sources used, refer to this link:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncbladen/lookups.htm