NCCURRIT-L Archives

Archiver > NCCURRIT > 2003-09 > 1062549966

From: "Jean Schroeder" <>
Subject: Re: Currituck Site Update
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:46:06 -0400

I saw just looking over a Deed entry on the Currituck Site that pertains to
one of my ancestors:

"[Deedbook 2, p. 22] A deed from Joseph and Julian CHURCH to Lydia WHITE,
their daughter, most likely made at the end of 1767 or the begining of 1768,
given the placement in the deed book, listed Thomas TAYLOR and William SWANN
as witnesses. The Church's son Richard is also mentioned, and the land
appears to have been on White's Island."

The note that the deed was most likely made at the end of 1767 is incorrect
and could mislead anyone that does not have his will. Joseph Church wrote
his will the 28th of Feb 1722/23 and it was proved 9 Apr 1723 in Currituck
Co. This deed of gift had to have been made prior to the writing of his
will. In his will he states: "Item. I give unto my daughter Ledy White one
yew and lam in full of all her portion she having a large part all reddy and
formerly given her."

Jean