NCGENWEB-DISCUSS-L Archives

Archiver > NCGENWEB-DISCUSS > 2008-08 > 1219647660

From: Sandy <>
Subject: Re: [NCGENWEB-DISCUSS] Important
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 02:01:00 -0500

I was a member and I remember. And I too am cautious.

Which is why in March I voiced concern when Nola leased
www.usgenweb.us in her own name. She responded with this:

From: "Nola" <>
To: <>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:08:01 -0500
Subject: Re: [NCGENWEB-DISCUSS] Questions for the group

I think Sandy has a valid concern and although we have not yet made a
decision about incorporation, I can, even at this point, transfer the
ownership to the NCGenWeb and change the contact person to Denise in her
capacity as SC. By adding that she is holding the domain in her capacity as
SC of the NCGenWeb, it will make it possible for future SC's to make any
changes needed.

That was five months ago. Have you checked Whois to see the how the
domain is registered? I have.

At the time Nola wrote the above message on March 15, we were in the
discussion period of the motion to incorporate, and the vote was
already scheduled, so while it was true "we" hadn't made our decision,
we were about to. What we did not know was that nine months earlier
Nola had made her own decision and had proceded to incorporate
NCGenWeb. Not register a trade mark, mind you, to *incorporate* it. As
a corporation in which only the board of directors can vote. And never
said a word while we proceded to carry on discussions and vote to
incoporate ourselves. Well we cannot incorporate an entity that's
already incorporated by someone else. The law is funny that way.

She's had a whole year now to tell us she incorported NCGenWeb, and she didn't.

I appreciate that you believe you can trust Nola. But Nola did not
just purchase the lease on a domain and lease server space, she also
incorporated NCGenWeb and kept it a secret for more than a year _even_
while we were voting to incorporate something we could not because she
already had. Providing money can, indeed, be a very generous gesture.
Money is also a means of conrol. An even better means of control is to
incorporate and to set up your corporation so that only the board of
directors can vote.

Several of us have been in the project as long and even longer than
Nola, and have lived through a good many incidents that cause us to be
cautious and to pay attention when red flags are flapping in the wind.
The flag doesn't get much redder than this one, so please give others
the right to be cautious, too. After all, we haven't leased domains
and incorported NCGenWeb in our own names.

-Sandy