NCHAYWOO-L Archives

Archiver > NCHAYWOO > 2005-01 > 1104872043

From: "Brenda Messer" <>
Subject: Re: Guardianship Records; Poor House
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:54:13 -0500

Mary MESSER, age 23, domestic, who was listed in the 1860 in the home of
John and Margaret R. "Peggy" STEPHENS SWANGER was their daughter, Mary Ann
"Polly" SWANGER MESSER, who was married to Samuel MESSER [son of Frederick
and Anna HUNTER MESSER] on March 24, 1857 in Haywood County, NC and Julia A.
, age 3 was her daughter. I would have to believe that Julia did not
survive. She is not listed anywhere on the 1870 or 1880 ACTUAL census
records. I have not been able to find Mary on the 1870 census, but she is
living with her brother, Doctor Estes SWANGER in 1880!!

Margaret R. "Peggy" STEPHENS SWANGER was living with her daughter, Martha,
[born 1853] and son-in-law, John SMITH, in 1870 as her husband, John had
been killed by outlaws, along with two of his sons, while he was returning
with them, after their service in the Civil War. The interesting thing
about it is that Martha was listed as Mary in the 1870 census!

If you are looking at a "transcribed" census record where someone has put a
relationship to the head of household, please remember that relationships
were not listed in census records until 1880!

I have found some "transcribed" census records where the transcriber has
listed people in them who were not even born at the time that the census was
taken, so beware of these! It is a good practice to check the actual record
if you can! I make every effort to check as many actual documents as
possible.

I cannot find the guardian bonds listed on the microfilm listed in the
microfilm rolls list that I have from the archives. There are several boxes
are loose records there that do have the bonds in them. I have already
ordered ALL of the bastardy bonds, which fortunately were on microfilm. The
staff will not copy the things in the loose records unless boxes unless you
are at the archives. I am going to make a trip sometime in the early spring
and try and get the most of those copied while there, either by actual copy
or with my camera.

I do have the special proceedings microfilm roll for 1875 - 1902, which I am
in the process of copying now. I copy all of the microfilm rolls that I
order and then I start wading my way through the items. I have a roll of
Buncombe County Civil War Pension Records that I need to copy and have a
roll of Haywood and Clay County, NC Civil War Pension Records ordered that I
will have to copy when they come in. When my funds permit, I will order a
couple more rolls of the Special Proceedings rolls to copy.

I am currently working on a project with Derrick Shipman of The Sons of
Confederate Veterans Captain Julius Welch Camp #229, who has provided me
with the names of all the Confederate Soldiers from Haywood County, as well
as their enlistment dates and the companies that they served in and whether
they were returned home to their families or were killed in their service
while in the military.

I will be taking this information and utilizing it to put together a
mini-genealogy on each of these fine men over the several months.

I need the help of anyone who has an ancestor from Haywood County. I need
Civil War Pension records, Pictures of your ancestors who enlisted from
Haywood County, NC or drew a pension from that County. If you could help me
in this it would be most appreciated.

I would like to use transcripts of as many pensions records as possible, but
if I cannot get them, I cannot use them and my time is limited, so please
HELP!!

Regards

Brenda Messer
Messer / Parton Family Historian
7 time winner of "Robert Bruce Cooke Family History Award" from North
Carolina Society of Historians
Messerville Gazette:
Reunion & Index Page
http://www.cccdesigns.biz/reunion.htm