NCJOHNST-L Archives

Archiver > NCJOHNST > 2001-01 > 0979196264

From: "FWI" <>
Subject: Re: [NCJOHNST] NEEDHAM INGRAM
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 01:57:44 -0500

Gail, Some time back you sent the following information to the
NCJOHNST-List:

1 Needham Ingram b: May 27, 1780 in Johnston co NC d: October 1835
in Ingram Cemetery, McNairy Co. Tenn. # chldn: 8
.. +Nancy King b: May 27, 1777 in Sampson Co NC d: July 1855 in Ingram
Cemetery, McNairy Co. Tenn. # chldn: 8
2 Ailcey Ingram
2 Bryant Ingram
2 Mary Ann Ingram
2 William Ingram d: 1854
2 Sarah Ingram b: 1802 d: 1863
2 Needham Ingram b: 1806
2 Mariah Ingram b: 1810 d: 1843
2 Harriet Jane Ingram b: 1826 d: 1861
Have no idea where William died , if in NC or not. Gail

As I have stated in previous messages, I owe a great debt to Virginia Howell
of TN for sharing with me her extensive research on some of the descendants
of William Ingram (Will 1771) who went to TN. I hope that text of a 1997
Email from Virginia will be helpful to you and will help settle the puzzle
about the various William Ingrams that you and Freda have been discussing.

"Hello Franklin,
I am descended from William Ingram, Joseph Ingram, Needham Ingram who md
Sarah King and moved to McNairy and Hardeman Co, TN in about 1830. I have
all my miscellaneous notes
entered through the Microsoft Word program. I entered it chronologically.
I believe that William and Richard Ingram of early Johnston Co, NC were the
sons of Roger Ingram of Isle of Wight Co, VA. I did not follow the Lees
or Averas. William Ingram first married a daughter of John Lee and had at
least one child, Shadrack Ingram. He then married an Elizabeth and had
my Joseph Ingram and I just forgot his sisters names.
Virginia Howell"

Apparently you and Freda have kin that come from the same William Ingram
(1771) but your kin are through Joseph to Needham and Freda's kin are
through Joseph to William Ingram (1790-1860). (William to Joseph to
William.)

William went to AL and Needham went to TN.

Of course your Needham had a son named William Ingram, but he was a grandson
of William Ingram (1771). See notes below. (William to Joseph to Needham to
William)

I do not believe that Virginia was right in claiming Roger Ingram of Isle of
Wight Co VA as the father of William Ingram (1771). On the other hand I
could not prove that Virginia was wrong. She was not convinced that she was
right either but she leaned towards believing it and I leaned towards not
believing it.

The other issue that we shared research data about was the relationship
between William Ingram (1771 Will) and Richard Ingram (1780 Will). Virginia
thought that they were brothers but had no proof. I think they were related
and certainly were neighbors in Johnston Co NC but I have no reason to think
that they were brothers.

Among Virginia's research notes is the following that you might find of
interest if you do not already have information:
"16 Mar 1829 - Johnston Co/NC - Vol 0-2, p.207 -208 - deeds. Know all men
by those presents that I, Needham Ingram Sr for myself and in right of
my wife Nancy Ingram at present of the county of Johnston, in the
state of North Carolina do hereby nominate constitute and appoint Adin
Powell of the same places our true & lawful attorney for us & in our names
to ask demand sue for recover and ... off & from William Ashford of the
county of Sampson & state of North Carolina, administrator of the estate of
Sally King late of Wayne County , decd all money that is or may become
due us as legatees of the estate of the said Sally King deceased, or any
kind of estate real or personal that we are entitled to as legatees ...
which I the said Needham Ingram Sr have or may have in rights of my wife
Nancy as ... or any money or effects of Sally King decd in the hands of
William Ashford as .... and I the said Needham Ingram Sr for myself do as
aforesaid do hereby constitute the said Adin Powell my attorney
irrevocable to take & procure all lawful ways & means whatsoever for the
recovery of the share or portion of the estate of the said Sally King,
deceased to which I may be entitled to as ... in right of my wife ... &
from the said administrator hereby authorizing the said attorney to ...
any right or discharge in & about the said premises and to make any
arguments bargain or compromise in relation thereunto & to use my name &
the name of my wife for the above purposes. .... can't read.... Signed the
16 day of March 1829. Nm Ingram seal Wit: ? ? Stevens & Jesse Whitley
"

The following are also from Virginia's research notes:

25 Nov 1830 - Hardeman Co/TN - Bk C p133 - Signed in Sampson Co/NC 13
Feb 1830 - Susannah Blackman, widow of said county and Needham Ingram of
TN. witnesses that it is the desire of Susannah Blackman convey certain
Negroes for the separate use of his daughter, Olive McKinnie, wife of
John McKinnie of Tennessee. In consideration of the sum of $1.00 paid by
Needham Ingram, his executors and administrators - 11 slaves. If Olive
McKinne died without issue then Needham Ingram is to convey the slaves to
the nearest of kin. recorded in Hardeman Co 25 Nov 1830, signed by
Susannah Blackman and Needham Ingram Jr

20 Dec 1830 Hardeman Co/TN Needham Ingram Jr married Jane Simpson.

22 Jan 1831 Hardeman Co/TN Marie Ingram married William Simpson

12 Apr 1833 - Hardeman Co/TN deed Bk C p417 - Needham Ingram Sr of
McNairy Co sold to William Simpson of Hardeman two Negroes, Chaney aged
18 and her child Betsy about 9 months old for $475. Wit: M Mckinnie &
Needham Ingram Jr

26 Dec 1833 - Hardeman Co/TN - Deed Bk C p538 - Hardeman Co/TN - William
Simpson conveys to Needham Ingram of Hardeman Co two Negores, Hayer 18
and Ben 12 months. Wit: J T Simpson & William Powell

4 Sep 1872 - Hardeman Co/TN - Minute Bk 4, p.486 - N.J. Powell petitioned
to sell land for division. Said Nancy Ingram died intestate in Hardeman Co
in 1855 and estate was administered by Wm..Simpson. Nancy had possessed a
tract of land consisting of 160 acres. Following is an abstract of Record
Docket #891 -NANCY INGRAM, widow of Needham Ingram, Nancy died 1854.

Petitioners; Needham Powell; James Brint; J. R. Crawford & wife, Amanda M;
R.H.Powell; Issac L Powell; Needham Simpson; John J Simpson; James S
Simpson; Joab Stricklin & wife, Josephine; J S Ferguson & wife, N E Ferguson

Heirs, children and grandchildren of Nancy Ingram

Children of her daughter, Sarah Powell, dec'd: Needham Powell, R H Powell &
Issac (L or T) Powell of Miss. sons of Sarah Powell

Namcy Sanders, wife of J M Sanders of Ark, a dau of Sarah Powell; Amanda M
Crawford, dau of Sarah Powell; Wm L Powell of Ark a son of John Powell who
was a son of Sarah Powell; Louiza J Brint, wife of J H Brint of Hardeman Co,
also a dau of Sarah Powell;

Sarah F, Alice A, William, Mollie Powell, minor children of W R B Powell,
son of Sarah Powell, residents of Hardeman Co, James Brint being their
regular guardian

Children of Her dau, Ailcey Holmes, dec'd: Virginia Ammons, Mattie Ammons
of ArK, Jimmie Ammons of Miss. Sarah Ammons & Angeline Armfield, wife of
Jesse Armfield of Hardeman Co.

Children of her dau, Alice [Ailsey] Flowers, dec'd, wife of Harry Flowers
dec'd. - Needham Flowers now dead leaving children whose names cannot be
ascertained; Elizabeth Albright now dead leaving children whose names cannot
be ascertained; Sarah McKinnie, wife of Michael Mckinnie of Miss.; William
Flowers of Miss.; Zachariah Flowers of Miss; Jane Richmond of Miss.

Children of her dau., Mariah Simpson, dec'd - Needham SImpson, John
Simpson, James S Simpson, Josephine Stricklin, Bryant Simpson of state of
Texas - Nancy Ward, wife of W.D. Ward of Ark - Susan Knight, wife of
William Knight of Ark - W. B. Simpson of state of Texas.

Children of her son Bryant Ingram. - Needham Ingram, Mattie Clement, wife
of ? Clement of Shelby Co,TN - Anne Ingram, wife of Henry Ingram of Ark.

Children of her son, Needham Ingram, dec'd. - John I Ingram & Joseph Ingram
of Miss. -

Children of her dau, Mary Ann Dabney, dec'd - Needham Dabney of Miss.

Children of her dau, Harriet J McKinnie, dec'd - Michael N McKinnie, a
lunatic whose general guardian is petitioner J S Ferguson. Solomon P
McKinnie a minor whose guardian is J S Ferguson and N E Ferguson

Children of William Ingram, dec'd - left children whose names, numbers &
residence is unknown.

Let me know what you think. Franklin Ingram Raleigh, NC