NCMARTIN-L Archives

Archiver > NCMARTIN > 1999-07 > 0932079597

From: "Linda Harris" <>
Subject: wards
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:59:57 -0400

Descendants of Michael WARD - 15 Jul 1999
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
---

FIRST GENERATION

1. Michael WARD was born before 1674 in VA. mentioned in the will of
Richard Bennett of Nancemond co., VA dated 3-15-1674 and proven 8-3-1676
(will preserved in England) He left Michael ward 10000# of tobacco. Richard
was Quaker Gov of VA during the roundhead goverment of Cromwell in England.

in the norfolk co the 1714 will of John Graham is wit by Michael, Ann and
Hannah Ward and documents of that county in the same year offer proof that
Mary dau of Graham was the wf of DanielGlascow of the provinence of NC

7-10-1718 deed in Chowan Thoms Garrette Sr and Wf Berthia to William
Freeman... Wit: Michael Ward and John Gordon

7-11-1718 William Freeman and wf Mary deeded to Michael Ward all of Chowan
Co (Bk I p 607 Chowan)

David Freeman married Sarah Relick of William White, and in 1690 Sarah ws
again a widow p 189 Bk 5 Norfolk Co)

deed p 5 of coutt orders etc of 1719-1722 in which William Freeman and Wife,
Mary (dau of Thomas Cording) of Chowan convey to William Perkins of hte WBER
in Norfolk Co (date of deed 3-17-1719

The will of John Freeman of Chowan dated 2-19-1729 names as executors his
brother William Freeman , his son John Freeman and Michael Ward. Witt:
Edward Wood, Geo White, and Thomas Roundtree

Michald ward and Wm Freman were living toagether in 1718 when freeman shared
with Ward a tract of land he had just bought from Thomas Garrett and that
John Freeman made Michael one of his ex with his brother William and his
son John .

Deeds
12-20-1731 fand from John Arline of Albermarle (D Bk no 2 p 659)
8-3-1733 from Chowan Indians to Michael Wrd (NC Reg V 2 p 609)
1-14-1740 Michael Ward and Ann to Thomas Walton
3-1-1740 Miahael Ward and Ann to Wm Bly of Bertie

He was married to Ann FREEMAN (daughter of William FREEMAN and Mary
CORDING). Ann FREEMAN was born in Norfolk Co., VA. Michael WARD and Ann
FREEMAN had the following children:

+2 i. Philip WARD.
+3 ii. John WARD.
4 iii. Michael WARD.

SECOND GENERATION

2. Philip WARD was born before 1693 in Bertie Co., N. C.. He signed a will
in 1777 in Beaufort Co., N.C.. probed 2-1777 bertie co., nc by George
Clements and William Anderson Test John Johnston CJC. Witt George Clements,
Mary Green, Willliam Anderson,

Mentions:
Children: (10 children)James, Daniel, George, Michael, William, Elizabeth,
Millisent, Sarah, Phillip, Mary
Grandchildren: Mary Anderson,

Others: friend George Kittrell,
wife Mary
Negros: Tinea, Philis, Jack, Chloe,Sam, Samson,Ruth, Herney

Text of Will:

In the Name of God Amen I PHILLIP WARD of Bertie Co and Provence of North
Carolina being in a bad state of health but in my perfect senses do make and
ordain this to be my last will and testament in following manner firs I
recoment my Soal to God who gave it me and my and my body to be decently
buried atthe discretion of my executors hereafter names as to my worly good
I dispose of in the folowing maner first my desire is that all my just debts
be paid as soon as possable after my dearth.

Item I give and bequesth to my weel beloved son James Ward my manner
plantation and that to make on hundred acres of land ajoining to him and his
heirs and asigns forever

Item I give and bequest to my wee beloved son Daniel Ward one hundred acres
of land which I called Rachels to him and his heirs and asigns forever

Item I give to my two sons George and Michael Wards two hundred acres of
land in terril co to be equally divided between them tot them ther heirs and
assigns forever I give to my well beloved wife Mary the suse of my cattle
sheep hogs and household furniture during her natural life or widowhood I
give to my well beloved wife the labour of my four negros Vise Tinea, Philis
Jack Choloe her natural life or widerhood

Item I give to my well beloved sun William Ward one negro boy called Sam
which which I had delivered into his possession to him his heirs and assigns
forever

Item I give to my well beloved daughter Elizabeth one negro boy Samson to
her her heirs and asigns forever

Item I give unto my well abeloved daughter Millisent one negro gurl named
Ruth only the the firs living child she hath my wi8ll and disire is that my
Daughter Mary should have and that toabe her own proper right to them their
heirsand assigns forever

Item I give to my granddaughter Mery Anderson one negro boy named Herney to
her her heirs and asigns forever my Will and desire is that my whol estate
after the death or mariage of my wife be equally divided between my ten
children vive George, Sarah,Philip Michel Elizabeth Daniel William Milisent
Jermis Mary not heretofore given my will and desire isthat all my whole
estate be equally divided between my ten children tht my wife hav the use of
as well as the rest that is everything tht belongeth to the estate.

I do hereby revolke all forrmer wills heretofore by me made id do constitute
an appoint my loving son George Ward and my loving friend George Kittrell
executorw to this my last Will and Testament in Witness whereunto I have
hereunto set my hand and seal this Seventeenth day of June in he year of our
Lord Crist one thousnad Seven hundred and Seventy six signed sealed and
delivered in the presents of Us

George Clements jur
Mary Green
William Andreson Jur

Phillip (hisP mark) Ward (seal)

Bertie Co Feb Court 1777: proved by George Clements and William Andreson;
Test John Johnston CJC
He died before 1 Nov 1777 in Bertie Co., N. C.. 12-19-1714 William
Carleton of Chowan conveyed to Philip 200 A adj Luke Meazel, Wl Luke Measel
and Stephen Alden (Hathaways NC V 1p 292)

1-17-1708 Edward Smithwick and wf Sarah sold to william Carleton...(d Bk W p
82 Chowan) Wit: Thoms Grrett and Stephen Swain

page 90 of same bk deed from William Carleton to Luke Mizell and his wf
Sarah, son and dau of Carleton. dated 1708.

Luke Mizell in 1703 (age 60) witnessed the wedding of Miss Constance
Stiball, sister in law of Ward, to Mr Thoms Showden in the home of James
Ward

Was Mary the dau of William Carleton?
Bk H p 243 in 1753) deed to Philip from Wm Ward

He was married to Mary GARRETT (daughter of Daniel GARRETT). Mary GARRETT
was born in N.C.. Philip WARD and Mary GARRETT had the following children:

+5 i. James WARD.
6 ii. William WARD was born in Bertie Co. NC.
7 iii. Daniel WARD was born in Bertie Co., N. C..
8 iv. George WARD died before 1 Nov 1777. He was born in Bertie Co., N.
C..
+9 v. Michael WARD.
+10 vi. Elizabeth WARD.
+11 vii. Millisent WARD.
+12 viii. Sarah WARD.
13 ix. Phillip WARD died before 1 Nov 1777. He was born in Bertie Co., N.
C..
+14 x. Mary WARD.

3. John WARD signed a will in 1747 in Chowan Co, NC. proved 12-16-1748

wf Catherine ex. Witnesses were Thoms Roundtree, Charles Copeland and John
Copeland

Names sons: Thoms, James, Joseph, William, Jobe, and Amos and Dau Elizabth
Thompson, Catherine Evans, Hannah, Srah, and Johana Ward.

desinated the land bought of Geo Turngridge to his son Jobe and the
plantation known by the name of Indian Creek to his son Amos

conved property to his other sons shortly before he died

William executor of estate He died bet 5-9-1747/12-16-1748 in Chowan Co,
NC. deded to John ward Jr the land where he now lives with the plantation
and land belonging to it which was formerly surveyed by Col Ed Moselley
Wits: John Parker, Peter parker and dated 10-19 1743

deed recorded in chowan co D abk E p 341 from John and Catherine Ward to
Joseph.... Wit: william and Ann Ward dated 8-18-1748, as was one from the
same parties to James p 343 D Bk E Chowan co

10-18-1748 deed to william ward from John and Catherine Wit William
Copeland, jr , Joseph and James Ward ( D Bk E p 344 Chowan)

Land devised to his son Amos was bought from Jonathan Sharwood of Perquimans
Co on 10-13-1747

8-30-1714 he was grantee of a deed from John and Sarah White who were
parents of Catherine, his wife

He was married to Catherine WHITE (daughter of John WHITE and Sarah KEYSER).
Catherine WHITE was born in VA. not sure that this catherine is the dau of
this john white and sarah. there was a john white of acc will probated
2-19-1682 and his wf was sarah, named son john and dau sary. his son john
md elizabeth johnnson.

a john white b c 1675 md in 1693 alice minshall do of jeffery in som.
children stephens b 1693 and john b 1697 John WARD and Catherine WHITE had
the following children:

15 i. Thomas WARD.
16 ii. James WARD.
17 iii. Joseph WARD.
+18 iv. William WARD.
+19 v. Jobe WARD.
20 vi. Amos WARD.
+21 vii. Elizabeth WARD.
+22 viii. Catherine WARD.
23 ix. Hannah WARD.
24 x. Sarah WARD.
25 xi. Johanna WARD.
26 xii. John WARD.

He was married to Sarah.

THIRD GENERATION

5. James WARD was born about 1727 in Bertie Co., N. C.. He died after 1
Nov 1777. He signed a will on 13 Apr 1780 in Bertie County, NC. Will of
James WARD bertie, NC

in the name of god amen the 13th day of April 1780 I James ward of the state
of NC and the county of bertie being very sick and weak in body but of
perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto god, therefore calling unto
mind the mortality of my body, and knowing that it is appointed for all men
once to die do make and ordain this my last will and testament that is t o
say principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands
of god that gave it and my body I recommend to the earth to be buried in
decent and Christian manner at the discretion of my ex nothing doubting but
at the general resurrection I shall receive the same again by the almighty
power of god and as toughing such worldly estate where with it have pleased
god to bless me in this life I give demise and dispose of the same in the
following manner and form

imprimis I give and bequeath to my beloved dau Winne ward one land entry
containing 175 a being on guire hall swamp and money enough to be raised our
of my estate to save the said land and one negro boy named Simon to
delivered to her as soon as she arrived to the age of 21 years or marriage
and one negro man named admiral and one negro boy named Arthur and one two
yr. old mear I give to be sold for her and my horse called genius and my
stock of cattle that is now in possession of George hows all which I give to
her and her heirs and assigns forever item I give and bequeath unto my wf
Martha ward one good feather bed and furniture and her choice of three head
of horse kind and 5 bushels of salt and 10 head of sheep and three cows and
calves and one two yr. old steer and all my stock of hogs and one pig and
one weeding hoe and two cutting acex and one and addie and one bridle and
half dozen chairs one iron pot one kettle one skillet one horse cart and
wheels two linnen wheels one wooling wheel one frying pan one chest one boy
iron, one bible one hymn book one table and cloth and half of my pewter one
washing tub one pail and the corn and meat that is now in my houses except
the meat of three hogs one stock of bees all my table knives and forks and
half the geese one loom and gear all my syder casks and brandy barrels and
all my raw hides that is now on my plantation one meal sive to be at her
disposal forever and I likewise lend unto her ll in the south corner of my
plantation till my daughter Susanna ward shall arrive to the age of 21 yrs
or marriage and the dwelling houses and my plantation form my old apple
orchard enduring her natural life and one negro woman named jude I lend unto
her during her life

item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Susanna ward that part of my land
joining upon James sowels land cornering upon his line abt 200 yds from a
great tarkiln bed running across my lands squar from thence across my pig
pen path to flat place thereto corner running form thence to the mouth of
little branch on the east side of the bear branch thence running along a low
flat round to the fence thence across my monour plantation just taking in my
old apple orchard so running to the main run to the looking swamp and one
feather bed and furniture to her and her heirs and assigns forever I give
and bequeath unto the child that is now unborn which my wf Martha ward is
big with the new patten land lying upon the quarter branch to be delivered
to it at the age of twenty one yr. and my monour plantation and dwelling
houses and the remaining of my land after my dau Susanna ward has her part
to be delivered to the death of my wf Martha ward and the rest of my new
patten land and the apple orchard in the south corner of my plantation and
the increase of my negro woman jude I give to be equally divided between the
child unborn and my dau Susanna ward to them and theirs heirs forever to be
delived to them at the time that my dau Susanna ward shall arive to the age
of 21 yrs and my negro woman named jude I give to be delivered unto them the
child unborn and my dau Susanna ward at the death of my wf Martha ward to
the mand their heirs for ever

item I give and bequeath unto my beloved dau Penelope Clifton one shilling
sterling money to be raised and levied out of my estate the remaining part
of my estate after all just depts is paid I give to be equally divided
between the other 2 or if 2 of them should die without issue of their
natural bodies I give their parts of my estate to the other one and heirs
forever

and my desire that when john boyce pays of his bond that my ex give him a
deed for his land whereon he lives I likewise give unto my wf Martha ward
all the money that is due to me from Nathan tart to be at her disposal

and I do hereby constitute and appoint my friends William cherry and Solomon
cherry my sole ex of this my last will and testament and I do hereby utterly
disallow revoke and sisanul all and every other former testament wills
legacies and bequests and ex by me in any ways before named willed and
bequeathed ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and
testament in wit whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and
year above written

Wit: James sowell, jr., George jornagan hodum, jr. Ekratim jenkins
bertie CO cot 11-1780; proved by James sowell, George hodum

He was married to Nancy BROWN. Nancy BROWN was born about 1731 in Bertie
Co., N. C.. She died between 1777 and 1780 in N Carolina. James WARD and
Nancy BROWN had the following children:

+27 i. Penelope WARD.

He was married to Martha. Martha was born in N Carolina. James WARD and
Martha had the following children:

28 i. Winne WARD was born after 1760 in Bertie County, NC.
29 ii. Susanna WARD was born after 1760 in Bertie County, NC.
30 iii. WARD was born about 1780 in Bertie County, NC.

9. Michael WARD died before 1 Nov 1777. He was born in Bertie Co., N. C..

Michael WARD had the following children:

31 i. MICHAEL WARD was born in N.C..

10. Elizabeth WARD died before 1 Nov 1777. She was born in Bertie Co., N.
C..

She was married to SWAIN.

Linda F. Harris
researching Garris, Andrews, and related families in northern Pitt and
southern pitt