NCROBESO-L Archives

Archiver > NCROBESO > 2006-09 > 1157594599

From: Jessica Bonner <>
Subject: [NCROBESO] HOUSTON family of Robeson co. NC
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 19:03:19 -0700 (PDT)

I am researching the HOUSTON/HUSTON/HUESTON family of
Robeson co. NC. I am descended from John Franklin
HOUSTON Jr., who was from Robeson co. NC but moved
with his family to Mississippi.

In the 1790 Robeson co. NC census, there appears a
Daniel HOUSTON with 5 whites males under 16 years of
age residing in his household. My John HOUSTON Sr. may
be a son of this Daniel HOUSTON.

1840 Robeson co. NC census
John Hueston
1 male 10-15: John, Jr.
1 male 15-20: William
1 male 50-60: John, Sr.
1 female 5-10: Emily
1 female 15-20: Charity
1 female 40-50: Chloe

In November 1840, a John HOUSTON appears on the
Committee for the Robeson co. NC District 39 school
board. I believe he may be identical to this John
HUESTON.

>From the NC Marriage Bonds, the following marriages
are recorded:
Erick Leggitt HOUSTON, had married Eliza Ann THOMPSON
on August 22 1840 in Robeson co. NC.
John F. HUESTON, Jr. married Drusilla SMITH on
February 22, 1845 in Robeson co. NC. Bondsman was John
MOORE.

1850 Robeson co. NC census
HUSTON, John, 60
- Cloe, 50
- Charity, 29
- William, 25
- Emily, 17
- Doctor Franklin
- Wm. Britt, 74
- Henry Britt, 15

Living next to them were:

HUSTON, John F., 22
- Drusilla, 23
- John, 4
- William, 2
- Ann, 1

There are no HOUSTONs in Robeson co. in 1860. They
must've moved from North Carolina to Mississippi,
where they appear on the 1860 Smith co. MS census:

1860 Smith co. MS census
HOUSTON, John F., 30
- Drusilla, 34
- John, 13
- William, 11
- Ann, 10
- Henry, 9
- Elizabeth, 6
- Martha, 4
- Reuben, 6 months

John Jr.'s brother William Starling HOUSTON married
Mary Elizabeth SHAW of SC. They must've left NC with
his brother John Jr. to move to Smith co. MS. Their
son Frank was born in Alabama, so possibly he was born
en route or they lived in that state for a time before
moving on to Mississippi.

1860 Smith co. MS census
HOUSTON, W.S., 34, M, farmer, NC
- Mary, 25, F, SC
- Frances, 4, M, Ala
- Martha, 2, F, MS
- Sarah Homper, 16, F, MS

I do not know who this Sarah HOMPER is. She might be a
relative, but that seems unlikely, since she was born
in MS. Probably a boarder or household help.

Erick Leggit HOUSTON, the elder brother of John Sr.
and William, also moved to Mississippi with his
family. Here they are in the 1860 Smith co. MS census:

HOUSTON, Arrick, 50, M, farmer, NC
- Elizabeth, 36, F, MS
- Susan, 15, F, NC, attends school
- Sarah, 11, F, NC, attends school
- Nancy G., 5, F, MS
- Emma, 3, F, MS
- Francis G., 1, M, MS
- Catharine ----rie, 67, F, SC
- Panel G. Smith, 27, F, MS, married within the year

John HOUSTON also appears on the 1860 Smith co. slave
census, with 10 slaves. He appears to be the John
HOUSTON who purchased 76 acres in Smith co. in 1861.

1870 Smith co. MS census

HOUSTON, John F., 50, M, W, Farmer, NC, Value of real
estate 200, value of personal estate 500
- Drucilla, 52, F, W, keeping house, NC
- Christian E, 17, F, W, born Mississippi
- Martha J, 13, F, W, born Alabama, cannot read or
write
- Reubin G, 10, M, W, born Mississippi, cannot read or
write
- Mary E., 8, F, W, born Mississippi
- Robi, 6, M, W, born Mississippi

A few houses down we find his brother Erick and
family:

HOUSTON, Erick L., 60, M, W, Farmer, NC, value of real
estate 800, value of personal estate 597
- Eliza A., 46, F, W, keeping house, MS
- Susan G., 24, F, W, NC
- Nancy G., 15, F, W, MS
- Emmala J., 13, F, W, MS, at school
- Francis L., 11, M, W, MS, farm laborer, attends
school
- Thomas, 9, M, W, MS, attends school
- Julia A., 7, F, W, MS, attends school

Next door is:

HOUSTON, William S., 48, NC, farmer
- Mary E., 35, SC
- Frances M., 14, AL, attends school
- Marcia A., 12, MS, attends school
- Samuel L., 8, MS, attends school
- John O., 5, MS
- Sallie U., 3, MS
- Mary Briley, 35, MS
- Frances C. Briley, 2, MS

Once again, I'm not sure who this Mary and Frances
BRILEY are, relations or boarders?

1880 Boltons Depot, Hinds co., MS census

HOUSTON, J. Flowers, 53, W, M, farmer, born NC, father
born NC
- Drucilla, 56, W, F, keeping house, born NC, father
born NC
- Reuben T., 20, W, M, farm laborer, born MS
- Mary E., 16, W, F, born MS
- Jas. R, 14, W, M, farm laborer, born MS

1880 Smith co. MS census

HOUSTON, Wm S., 50, NC NC NC
- Mary E., 45, SC SC SC
- Sam S., 18, MS
- Oliver J., 15, MS
- Sarah V., 13, MS
- Bedia O., 9, MS
- Cary, 4, MS (dau)
- Mudock Shaw, 68, teacher, MS NC SC

I am searching for descendants or relatives of this
HOUSTON family. I am curious as to the family of
Chloe, the wife of John Sr. -- was she a daughter of
the William BRITT living with them in the 1850 census?
Did Charity and Emily, daughters of John Sr., ever
marry and if so, to whom? Who was the John MOORE who
was bondsman to John Jr.'s marriage, a cousin perhaps?
And who were the BRILEY women and Sarah HOMPER who
resided with William's family, and the Catherine and
Panel SMITH staying with Erick's family? More
relatives perhaps?

Both William and Erick named sons Francis -- is this a
family name? And the three HOUSTON brothers' middle
names: John Franklin, William Starling, and Erick
Leggit. More family names?