NCROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > NCROOTS > 2000-04 > 0957087247

From: "Douglas/Ungaro" <>
Subject: Re: [NCROOTS] BASTARDY BONDS and N.C. "NEGRO 'CO-HABITATION' RECORDS"
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 11:34:07 +0200

For research purposes, I understand that bastardy bonds were
only for whites. In the place of legal marriage, forbidden to
Blacks in North Carolina, African American couples were
recorded - by county - in so-called "Negro 'cohabitation' records".

Dr. Barnetta McGhee White (of North Carolina) has published a
3- volume set, "Somebody Knows My Name", taken from North
Carolina county "Negro co-habitation" records. In her research
she notes she could NOT find the records for several NC counties
- especially in western North Carolina, in the Smoky Mountain
region (where I am researching). Some of these records probably
have disappeared through neglect, as with some other old records.
Dr. White's books can be purchased, or found in many libraries,
especially in North Carolina - or by interlibrary loan.

Dr. White's 3 books would be a great resource for someone willing
to get the books and - with Dr. White's permission - transcribe the
information onto the Internet, to mailing lists like this one and
(N.C. county) genealogy websites.

Historical circumstances - legal, social and medical - affected
entire populations of people, especially women - as a group.

Also, by U.S. laws, millions of people - enslaved African Americans -
were *not even allowed* to marry until about 1866. Of course, this
fact does not apply to the "social behavior" of male slaveholders
siring children as part of "the peculiar institution" (slavery).

"Celia, A Slave", a non-fiction history book by Dr. Melton McLaurin
of North Carolina gives a crystal-clear picture of this subject.

As the exchange below is addressed to a particular individual by
name, perhaps you should be emailing each other privately instead
of editorializing to this List. Some of those comments are not
appropriate and not related to genealogy research.

Reading history helps when doing genealogy. The written history of
U.S. social attitudes disagrees with some of these comments and
off-topic personal opinion sent to this List.

Marian Douglas
Rootsweb Sponsor Plus