NCSURRY-L Archives

Archiver > NCSURRY > 2000-03 > 0953518663

From: <>
Subject: [NCSURRY] Unnamed Patterson Cemetary - Surry County
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:17:43 EST

Cross-posted to PATTERSON-L

Was up in Surry County this afternoon looking for a small cemetary plot of my
ancestors PATTERSON. My sister in Springfield, GA assured me her directions
were correct, but I could not locate the place even after stopping and
getting some directions.

Was looking for the graves of William C. PATTERSON and his wife Mariah
Caroline MAINARD (my ancestry and # 4 and #5 below). The directions said to
go west 5 miles on Hwy 268 from Pilot Mtn, turning left on state road 2044,
then the first left after passing Hills Grove Baptist Church. From this
cemetary, which is supposed to be on a hill and visible to SR 2044, the
following individuals graves are supposed to be located there:

1. William Thomas PATTERSON (b. February 19, 1880, d. September 15, 1897)
2. Columbia Augusta PATTERSON (b. October 12, 1867, d. December 12, 1903)
3. Malinda J. PEELE (b. May 17, 1870, d. February 10, 1898)
4. W. C. PATTERSON (b. September 5, 1810, d. December 24, 1891)
5. Caroline PATTERSON (b. June 15, 1812, d. January 1, 1871)
6. Virginia E. PATTERSON (b. March 31, 1878, d. April 7, 1879)
7. Johnnie A. PATTERSON (b. February 15, 1882, d. November 14, 1883)
8. Nancy J. PATTERSON (b. December 21, 1853, d. January 9, 1895, who was the
wife of S. A. PATTERSON)
9. Martha PATTERSON (b. April 22, 1886, d. August 26, 1906, who was the
daughter of S. A. and Nancy PATTERSON)

My sister tells me most of the other graves are made of field stones and not
easily recognizable. Has anyone been to this small family cemetary, or can
verify the location? Having located some of my ancestors graves at Copeland
Baptist Church including William Henry Harrison PATTERSON and his son Samuel
Martin PATTERSON and wife Mary Alice LOGAN, I am trying to validate the
burial of others in my lineage.

Anyone with information or marking on this cemetary would be appreciated.

Bob Carter
Greensboro, NC

This thread: