NCWAYNE-L Archives

Archiver > NCWAYNE > 2008-10 > 1224383826

From: "Mary Raye Casper" <>
Subject: [NCWAYNE] Boswell Family of Wayne County, NC 1779-
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 22:41:03 -0400

This is my first post to the Wayne Co., NC list. I am researching the
Boswell family of old Dobbs and Wayne County, NC. I believe many members of
this Boswell family were Quakers. My ggg-grandfather was Jesse J. Boswell
born between 1809-1817 NC and died March 16, 1887, Darlington Co., SC. I am
looking for a document(s) to prove his parents, and I believe that his
father was one of the sons of Simon Boswell and Ann Cox. (m. February 6,
1766 -Pasquotank Monthly Meeting.)

According to the information that I have gathered from many sourcesproven
and unproven, Jesse J. Boswell migrated to Darlington Co., SC from Wayne
Co., NC, and is found in the 1860 - 1880 Darlington Co., SC census records
with wife Lucretia. I have read that either Jesse J.s or his fathers land
(Jesse Boswell Sr.?) was confiscated and sold due to a court action by John
Robins in 1839, Wayne Co., NC. A Josiah Bass who married 1st- Sarah
Boswell (who died having 2nd child) and 2nd- Martha Boswell (sister of
Sarah?) is also in Darlington Co., SC by 1860 Family #1553. Both born in
NC and said to be from Wayne Co., NC. Family #1530 - Jesse Boswell
(Turpentine Farmer) and wife Lucretia. Both born in NC.

Simon Boswell, possible grandfather of my ggg-grandfather, was in Wayne Co,
NC by December 1797. In his 1812 will, Simon Boswell names as his children:

1. Jesse
2. Joseph
3. John
4. Thomas
5. Benjamin
6. Mariam (m. Bass)
Grandchildren Jonathan, Sarah, and Everet Bass

By the process of elimination, the following sons do not appear to be the
father of my ggg-grandfather, Jesse J. Boswell:

4. Thomas Boswell - Names son Jesse in a deed of gift on Aug. 31, 1801
This Jesse was born before the birth year range of my Jesse J. Boswell.
5. Benjamin Boswell His 1837 will names only four daughters.

This leaves:
1. Jesse
2. Joseph 1854 Wayne Co., NC will mentions a Jesse Boswell or Jesse Bass.
No relationship stated.
3. John

Does anyone have any additional information on these sons of Simon and Ann
Cox Boswell? Is Jesse, Joseph, or John the father of Jesse J. Boswell of
Wayne Co., NC and Darlington Co., SC?

Thank you!
Mary

This thread: