NCWILSON-L Archives

Archiver > NCWILSON > 1998-12 > 0912695356

From: Connie Fisher <>
Subject: [NCWILSON-L] Baker/Forbes
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 09:29:16 -0500

wrote:

> My name is bob baker, and I am researching my family tree. I saw your
> posting on the ncwilson forum. You indicated you were researching surnames
> forbes and baker. my research goes back to a Hiram Forbes who had a daughter
> named Sallie who married a Thomas Baker, the Son of Blake Baker and Nancy
> Barnes baker.
> Blake Baker born in 1800
> Nancy Barnes Baker born in 1806
> Hiram Forbes born in 1805
> Sallie Forbes born in 1839
> Thomas Baker born in 1832
>
> I have lots more information, but lots of gaps. Maybe we could share our
> resources. I have no information on your primary Goff/Gough line, but since
> you indicated you were researching forbes and baker, I feel they may somehow
> be connected. I live close to Grimesland.
>
> Thanks:>) Joe Robert (Bob) Baker

Hello Cousin Bob,

You are correct, we are researching the same families, and this is
weird, I live in nearby Washington.

I descend through Blake and Nancy's son James who removed from Bakertown
to that part of Wilson Co. adjoining Pitt and Greene Cos. His son King
David married Mary Elizabeth (Betty) Forbes, daughter of Hyrum Forbes.
My mother was named for Mary Elizabeth Forbes by my grandfather William
Daniel Baker.

I have your line through the 1870 Wilson Co. census, children of Thomas
and Sally (Forbes) Baker: Marinda b 1858; Stephen b Jan 1860 d bef
1870?; Hyrum b 1861; Richard b 1864; Harry b 1866 and Ephraim b 1869.
And I probably have more. I need to go back and look at them
individually. From whom do you descend?

I've been researching family since 1973. My mother was really into this
and we went to Bakertown many times. On one trip I picked up a brick
supposedly from the foundation of Blake's house. We talked to some of
the older locals and picked up some stuff.

Blake b 1800 was son of James Baker b abt 1768 Nansemond Co. VA (now
City of Suffolk) who arrived in Edgecombe Co. in 1803/4. Nansemond Co.
is a burned county. I've been there several times and have worked hard
to construct a pedigree based on patent records (location) 1623-1732,
the Vestry Book of the Upper Parish of Nansemond 1743-1793 and a
surviving index of court fee books of Nansemond.

I've traced this Baker family (there were others in Nansemond) to
Silvester Baker b abt 1615 d bef 24 Mar 1675/6 Nansemond. He MAY be the
same Selvester Baker christened 16 Jan 1613 in Sibsey, Lincolnshire, son
of Anthony Baker.

Silvester Baker and Thomas Harrell were headrights of and likely
indentured servants of Robert Bennett, cousin of Richard Bennett,
Governor of Virginia during the Commonwealth. They arrived abt 1633 and
settled on the plantation of Robert Bennett adjoining Richard Bennett's
plantation on Bennett's Crk at the mouth of the Nansemond River in James
River.

Silvester Baker, after he served out his indenture, likely married the
daughter of William Parker and sister of Richard Parker Sr. and settled
on Parker's Crk located between the Nansemond River and the Dismal
Swamp. He already possessed land there, when he patented 250a on 1 Apr
1658. We descend through the Parker marriage - Richard Baker b abt 1642
d abt 1702 Nansemond Co. Silvester married (2) Mercy ?

I confess to spending more time on Virginia records than on Edgecombe
and Wilson Co. stuff so I'm very interested in what you have, and will
gladly share the rest of mine.

Connie

This thread: