NDSDMN-L Archives

Archiver > NDSDMN > 1999-08 > 0933903498

From: "Greg & Kathy Hines" <>
Subject: Some Hillside Cemetery (Minneapolis) Burials

I desperately needed to get out of the office for awhile today and there are
two really large cemeteries about a mile north of where I work. Each
cemetery is several acres and has thousands of burials. One cemetery is
Sunset and one is Hillside. I walked around and found the older part of
Hillside Memorial and wrote down some of the names and dates from the
stones. I did not try to record any poems or epitaphs (many were in
languages I do not speak.)

As I wandered through Hillside Cemetery I recorded:
Section C:
Carl L. Anderson
Born May 29, 1865
Died Sept. 4, 1908

Square Pillar Stone:
One side -
Jennie
wife of Tho's O. Campbell
Born Oct. (1?)7th, 1864
Died Oct. 31, 1896

Two Inscriptions on another side -
Virgie C.
Born June 16, 1893
Died Jan. 28, 1894
~~~~~~~~~~~
Baby
Born Oct. 15, 1896
Died Oct. 17, 1896
Children of Jennie & T. O. Campbell

Several CHRISTENSEN stones for around the same dates - I did not record
them.

Section B:

Edith Eggleston
Born July 10, 1890
Died Sept. 7, 1890

Small white marble stone - soldier with a raised sword, sitting on a horse
which has one leg raised. Initials H. to the left of the picture and S. to
the right.
Hermann Mueller
Geb. 12 April, 1861
The rest of the stone sunk and buried in the ground.

Section PG:

Mary A Stevenson
Died Jan. 7, 1894
Aged 26 years

E. Erikson
Fodd Mars 5 1861
Dod Aug 16 1891

Enok. E. Backe
F. 26 July, 1893
D. 19 Oct., 1895

Beulah Sturdwick
1894 - 1899

Axel B. Larson
Feb. 25, 1891
May 8, 1899

Baby Boy Twins
Beisswenger
1898

Mother
Ella Peterson
1871 - 1895

Gest
Swanson
Fodd 31 Mar 1867
Dod 11 Aug 1894

Lars C. B.
Peterson
Fod 31, Mai. 1879
Dod 24, Feb. 1895

Johannes Nelson
1862 - 1895

Reuben Estey
Born Nov. 27, 1819
Died Sept. 9, 1819

Father
Paul Knutsen
1858 - 1894

F. A. Hendrickson
Born Sept. 17, 1883
Died Jan. 7, 1904

James Morris Hanson
Jan. 16, 1894
July 25, 1894

Extremely hard to read stone:
Samuel S.
R.L. & M.A. Schee
Born Nov. 16, 18??
Died July 12, 1894

Maria Person
Fodd 3 Jul 1815
Dod 20 Feb 1895

Mabel Adele
Rundquist
Fodd Den 24 Feb 1894
Dod Den 4 Jan 1895

Sophia
wife of Christ (H?)ilken
Born March 9, 1860
Died March 11, 1897

Anthony Thorson
Born Dec 25, 1859
Died Jan 26, 1897

Charles Greener
Died July 11, 1896
Aged 24 years

Back through Section B on my way back to work:

Tall square pillar stone -
one side:
Clarence E. Brooks
Died Oct. 6, 1893
Aged 29 yrs.

another side:
Kezia Brooks
Died Jan 22, 1898
Aged 54 yrs.

Tall square pillar stone -
one side:
Ingebrigt C. Formo
Fodt Den 5 Juli 1852
Dode Den 2de August 1900

another side:
Elise L. Formo
Fod 6 Januar 1882
Dode 6 Januar 1887 (looks like she died on her fifth birthday)

more FORMOs buried nearby

Tall square pillar stone -
one side:
Louis K. Brooks
Born July 25, 1854
Died May 9, 1900

another side - two inscriptions:
William Ralph
son of
L.K. & U.L. Brooks
Born Mar. 19, 1876
Died Oct. 23, 1890
~~~~~~~~~~
poem in English
``````````````````
Mina Cievers
Born No. 30, 1872
Died Aug. 30, 1895

Oan M Demmon
Died August 4, 1896
Aged 36 years

white marble stone - broken and lying on the ground
Thomas Falloon
Born in Co. Antrim Ire.
May 25, 1813
Died Aug. 13, 1893

Black + white granite stone cut to look like a tree stump
Dr. Charles Woodward
Sept. 1, 1856
Nov. 30, 1884

Rev. K. A. Jonson
1852 - 1915
many more JONSON buried nearby

surnames I saw on my way out of the cemetery - let me know if anyone would
like more info:
FROGNER, LEMKE, LAES, FOELL, BOEHNING, PEEL, WIESEKS
A stone for a Spanish American War Vet
stones for Korean War Vets

That's it for the moment - sorry if this was too long for anybody.
Kathy Hines

This thread: