NEDODGE-L Archives

Archiver > NEDODGE > 2010-08 > 1282956575

Subject: Re: [NEDODGE] 2 upcoming events
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:49:35 EDT

If you wish to attend the lock-in register by sending an email to
(mailto:) Even with two floors for
computers, space will be somewhat limited.

In a message dated 8/27/2010 7:42:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time,

1. October 1 is our second annual genealogy lock-in which will be held
the W. Dale Clark library in downtown Omaha. There a couple of changes
from last year.
The event will begin at 6:30, and doors will be closed at 6:45. If
you are at the library beforehand, we suggest you have a bite of supper
one of the area restaurants (Cranes & Jimmy John's are just across the
to the south.) You may come early and work but the library will be
cleared of patrons at regular closing time.
Another change, there will be computers available on second floor as
well as the third floor, and the timers will be on so that more people
be able to use them. Opening second floor computers about doubles the
computer capacity, and since there will be time limits on the computers
similar to normal business hours, more will be able to use them. The
available at the library is the World version, and there are British,
Canadian and some other European records available. Ancestry recently
bought the
Swedish data base service GenLine, and we're waiting to see if that
available also (if you do use GenLine, be aware that only the headings to
the research data bases is in English. The records are untranslated
Swedish...but hey, I've got one of my Swedish lines into the 1500s now
thanks to
GenLine. If I can do it, you may be able to do it as well. The downer
that not all parishes go back that far. (Email me with Swedish
if you like.)
There will be several librarians on duty, there will be a tour
available of the facility if you are new to the Omaha genealogy
department, and
several members of the Greater Omaha Genealogical Society will be
available to try to help with genealogy programs, resource questions,
questions. There are two marvelous collections of information that are
behind the information desk that they will be happy to get for you if the
topic or people you're interested in is listed. Just ask.
We've got all Omaha/So Omaha city directories, several sets of
marriage microfilms from various Nebraska counties, over 8,000 books
about a
wide variety of states, counties, ethnicities, immigrations, etc and
newsletters from about 125 different genealogy societies around the
The lock-in will be over at 9 PM. There is no charge for this
event, although we'll have a donation jar to help pay for the guard (this
outside the normal library budget which they keep cutting on the city
council.) If you can help, we appreciate it. If not, the Society will
fund the
guard's salary. If we get enough donations after the guard salary is
we'll buy more stuff for the library.
IF you heard Roger Minert a couple years ago at a Spring
conference, you'll find that we have all of his books at the present time.
If you have questions, you can email me.

The annual fall conference/workshop (30 Oct 2010) flyer has been
uploaded to the G.O.G.S. web site:
_www.gogsmembers.wordpress.com_ (
(right hand of the page, a ways down.) If you're on the mailing list,
should hit the mail next week.
Four speakers (brief synopsis, you can get more from the flyer):
Lynn Farr will be discussing land records
Lucille Saunders will be discussing oral histories/story telling
Cyndy Salzman will discuss how to organize our records
Jeff Ramsell will discuss the uses of digital cameras in genealogy

This is one of the two major genealogy conferences that we sponsor
each year. Any profits that may be made over the conference expenses
be turned into materials at the W. Dale Clark Library. (Yeah, when they
cut the library budget by 7.5% this year, we got hit yet again in
There are discounts for pre-registering, and for being a member of the
Greater Omaha Genealogical Society (in fact, if you attend both
it's almost like we're giving you the Society membership free because you
get a $10 discount at each conference if you are a member.) You don't
to be a member to attend the conference.
We always have a lot of fun. There's a bake sale, raffles,
genealogy stuff and white elephants for sale. Lunch is available for a
fee, or you can go out to lunch.

Hope to see you at both upcoming events.

with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and
the body of the message

This thread: