NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2000-03 > 0954238150

From: "Brenda & Gary Anderson" <>
Subject: [NZ] Thomas WALKER & family from Yorkshire to Greytown
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:09:10 +1200

Hello all,

We have been researching the family of Thomas WALKER, who emigrated to NZ in
1857 and settled in Greytown. We hoped he would be the father of our Emily
Kate WALKER, my husband's gr-great-grandmother. To our dismay, after
reading a copy of his will this evening, we discovered that she was *not*
his daughter. If anyone is researching this family and would like copies of
birth certs, marriage certs, death certs, wills, etc. please let me know.
I'll be happy to pass them on.

Here are the details.

Thomas Walker, born Abt. 1831 in Masham, North Yorkshire, England; died 11
October 1904 in Greytown, Wairarapa, New Zealand. He was the son of Enoch
Walker and Esther Marsden. He married (1) Mary Ann Smith Bef. 1853 in
Chapelry of Havergham Eaves, Burnley, Lancaster, England. She was born Bet.
September 1828 - September 1829 in Lancashire, England, and died 24
September 1907 in Greytown, Wairarapa, New Zealand. She was the daughter of
Thomas Smith and Sarah Harker.

More About Thomas Walker:

Burial: Greytown Cemetery, Wairarapa, New Zealand - plot 58-59 - Sacred to
the memory of Thomas WALKER, died 11 Oct 1904 aged 73 yrs; also Mary Ann,
his wife, died 24 Jul 1907, aged 78 (Anglican)
Cause of Death: hepatitic cirrhosis, apoplexy
Emigration: Abt. 1857, according to death certificate, had been in NZ for 47
years
Occupation 1: 1867, Carrier
Occupation 2: 1872, Carrier & Publican
Occupation 3: 1893, Farmer
Probate: 4 November 1904, Wellington Court 1843-1926 probate #9142 - Will
Property 1: 1882, Greytown, Wairarapa, New Zealand - rural 1264 acres worth
£4900, and town section worth £510
Property 2: Bet. 1873 - 1876, "British Volunteer Hotel", Greytown
Property 3: 1893, Kahautara, freehold, sections 5 and 6

More About Mary Ann Smith:
Burial: 27 September 1907, Greytown Cemetery, Wairarapa, New Zealand
Emigration: 1859, Matoaka (built 1853, wooden ship, 1092 tons) Captain
Stevens, arr Port Nicholson (Wellington) 13 Sept 1859.
According to death certificate, Mary Ann had been in NZ for 48 years. So she
arrived in 1859. The passenger list for the 'Mataoka' shows a Mary Ann
Walker & Esther Walker arriving in Sep 1859. An Esther Walker registered
Thomas's (jnr) birth.
Residence: 1893, Kahautara
More About Thomas Walker and Mary Smith:
Marriage: Bef. 1853, Chapelry of Havergham Eaves, Burnley, Lancaster,
England

Children of Thomas Walker
Esther WALKER, born Abt. 1853 England
Eliza WALKER, born Abt. 1863
Annie WALKER, born Abt 1865, married Charles AMOS 10 Jan 1894
Thomas WALKER born 25 January 1867 in Greytown, Wairarapa, New Zealand
Mary Ann (Polly) WALKER born 1874 d: 16 August 1922 in Greytown,
Wairarapa, New Zealand

Thomas had a younger brother named Enoch who also emigrated to NZ, settling
in Woodville. Here are his details:

Enoch Walker, born 5 June 1840 in Masham, North Yorkshire, England; died
Abt. July 1907 in Woodville, New Zealand; married (1) Jane Greenhalge 1864
in Darcy Lever, Lancashire, England; died 24 May 1877 in Woodville, New
Zealand; married (2) Eliza Ann Groves 13 June 1881 in Woodville, New
Zealand; born Aft. 1860 in Milton, Oxfordshire, England.

More About Enoch Walker:
Occupation: 1881, Bootmaker
More About Enoch Walker and Jane Greenhalge:
Marriage: 1864, Darcy Lever, Lancashire, England

Children of Enoch Walker & Jane Greenhalge
Thomas Henry WALKER born in England 1865
Enoch John Marsden WALKER born in England 1867
Esther Mary WALKER born 1869 Woodville, New Zealand
Emily Jane WALKER born 1871
Margaret Isobel WALKER born 1872
James Percy WALKER born 1874
Florence Amelia WALKER born 1875

Children of Enoch Walker & (2nd Wife) Eliza Ann Groves:
Roland Hugh Stowell WALKER born 1888 in Woodville, New Zealand
Ivy Gerty WALKER born 1892

Now, if anyone has any information about an Emily Kate WALKER, born about
1865 in Oxford, England, daughter of Thomas WALKER, please let me know.

Regards,
Brenda.

--
Gary & Brenda Anderson, Masterton, New Zealand

This thread: