NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2001-06 > 0993427277

From: Suzanne Borgfeldt <>
Subject: [NZ] TECHNICAL COLLEGE-CHRISTCHURCH
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:01:17 +1200

I have before me a copy of the Christchurch Technical College Golden
Jubilee Review 1906 to 1956.

On one page it gives a brief history of the College as follows:
and I quote a somewhat abridged version :-

"Leading features in the History of the College-
07 June 1901 The question of forming Technical classes first mooted
by the Industrial Association of Canterbury.

16 April 1903 Evening classes started in Richmond School and the old
Borough Council Chambers Sydenham.

January 1906 Appointment of Mr J H Howell (BA, BSc Lond) as the first
Director.

02 Nov 1906 The foundation stone of the College laid by the Hon. G
Fowlds, Minister of Education.

July 1907 The Technical College opened with a roll number of 56.Mr
Howell the Principal told the assembled school that he looked forward
to the time when the roll would be 250. The teaching staff were Mr
Newton, Mr Park, Mr Bridge, Miss Digby, Miss Beck, Miss Rose and Miss
Beare.

1991 The first athletics sports meeting held at Lancaster
Park.. The staff and work of the School of Domestic Instruction taken
over by the Technical College, after it had been conducted by Mrs
Gard'ner for 16 years. Extension of North wing of the Colege (Domestic
Science).

1912 The Old Boys' Cricket Club established 12 June. Past and
Senior students' Association formed.
1913 The girls' Training Hostel opened by the Hon R H Rhodes.
Miss E Gard'ner was the first Pricipal.Extension of South wing and
workshops.

1916 The Pavilion built on the sports ground in Ensors Road

1918 Memorial Hall Fund opened. Now stand at 13,048 pounds,
15 shillings and 4 pence. Extension of South wing of main buildings.

1919 Mr Howell resigned his position having been appointed to
a similar position in Wellington. He was succeeded by Dr D E Hansen who
had been head of Southland Technical College for 7 years.

1924 Boys hostel in Opawa Road opened.

1926 Site of 16 acres purchased at Langdon's Road , Papanui
for second Technical College. Grant made by Hon R A Wright of 4,750
pounds for purchase of five houses and ground for playground extensions
in Moorhouse Avenue.

1936 Papanui Technical College opened 26 May - launched as a
branch school.

1949 Separation effective. The word Technical dropped from
title of Papanui School."

Hope this helps in some small way.

Suzanne Borgfeldt
Christchurch, New Zealand