Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2001-08 > 0999314247

From: "Lindel" <>
Subject: [NZ] COTTON & NYE - Nelson
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 15:17:27 +1200

Hi! After a little time off after adding to my family tree (the HARD way!)
I'm back and looking at lines I have little on, as far as their early
One line is this:
James Henry COTTON, born UK abt 1829, who married Mary Ann NYE, b date and
place unknown, on the 10th March 1850 at Saint James, Paddington, London, UK
James died at 75 years old in 1904, in Nelson. The only info I have on his
parents is that his father was a Mariner. James is supposed to have been in
NZ 52 years, so that makes his arrival abt 1852.
The biggie is that at the time of his death, there were 9 children living,
aged between 36 and 55 years (b abt 1849 to 1868).
I have ONE I know for sure is his - Caroline COTTON, b 6 Nov 1864 in Nelson,
who went on to marry Henry POPE in 1883. I recently got a copy of a marriage
in 1882, which shows an Emma COTTON marrying James GARNER (hard to read) -
the witnesses to the marriage were Henry and Annie COTTON, Washington
Valley. The parents of this Emma were James Henry COTTON and Mary Ann
HARRIS, which doesn't help any, but may be a mistake.
Is anyone else researching this line or do you have connections to it?
I'd like to get the family group details completed as well as the birth
dates/places for both James and Mary (okay, and their arrival in New
I have the Nelson MIs to look through and a photo of James ..........
thought I'd try the list as well as I need some names for those 9 children
at least.

Kaikoura, NZ
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO.....I came, I saw, I stuck around

This thread: