NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2002-02 > 1013324449

From: Michael Butler <>
Subject: Re: [NZ] Hospitals - WW1
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:00:49 +1300

Hi Olwyn.

I have a grandfather, Thomas (Tom) Butler, who was evacuated from Gallipoli
with enteric (typhoid) fever. He was sent to the 2nd Birmingham War
Hospital in Northfield, near Birmingham. This was in 1915. Not sure if
this was a New Zealand Hospital from the start or just a general one, or if
it later became specifically a New Zealand Hospital.

Tom originally served in the NZ Mounted Rifles in Egypt before being sent to
Gallipoli. According to his military record, he was initially transported
from Gallipoli on the NZ Hospital ship, 'Maheno' and taken to a field
hospital at Mudros on the Greek island of Lemnos, before being evacuated to
the UK. After Birmingham he was then sent to Hornchurch to convalesce.

Any help?

Regards, Michael.