NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2003-01 > 1042911242

From: "David Lamb" <>
Subject: Re: [NZ] St Helliers name origin
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 17:34:02 -0000

....or could it have been named after St Hellier, the capital of Jersey in
the Channel Islands? Many Australian and New Zealand place-names come from
the UK and its surrounding islands (Perth, Nelson, Canterbury, Auckland and
Wellington are just 5 examples which spring to mind). This is only a
suggestion - I may be completely wrong!

Regards,
David Lamb (Paignton, Devon, UK)
NZ Interest: Descendants of Thomas BERRY (1796-1872)