NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2003-01 > 1043102524

From: "Stephen Donald" <>
Subject: [NZ] Tolaga Bay Memoir about to be published
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:42:04 +1300

Dear all

We have finished my father's memoirs and will be launching this on 15th Feb
at Tolaga Bay. Here are the details (with our list administrator's
permission)

MANY ROADS FROM HAUITI - A Tolaga Bay Memoir, is a soft-covered book of 250
pages in A4 format, by Sam (G.L.A.) Donald, with introduction and appendices
by Stephen Donald ISBN 0-473-09264-6

This memoir is a personal recollection of growing up in Tolaga Bay, living
through the 1930s Depression up to World War II.
Appendices prepared by Stephen Donald expand material referred to the text.

Book includes
· maps, diagrams and documents relating to the places, people and events
referred to in the text.
· an introductory essay setting the scene on the East Coast through to World
War II.
· a short history of Wigan and Mangaheia schools
· background and details of the Wigan Settlement, 1903; the Paremata block
subdivision and auction, 1904; the Tolaga Bay Saleyards Company, 1905; the
Tolaga Cooperative Dairy Company, 1912; McNeil Sheepfarming Company, 1926
· some Tolaga Bay postal history, and. lists of householders and electors
from the Uawa district in the early 20th Century.
· mini-biographies of a number of Tolaga Bay identities of the late 19th and
early 20th Centuries in the extensive footnotes.

For further details contact us at
Rakopu Press,
20 Miro Street,
Gisborne.