NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2003-01 > 1043220671

Subject: [NZ] RE McDERMOTT & MARKWALD
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:31:14 EST

A lady on the list was enquiring about my surname and whether or not the
McDERMOTT's had any connection with NZ. Unfortunately I pressed the delete
button in error and lost the original enquiry. However, I'm not aware of any
NZ connection, but I often wonder what happened to my ancestors who spent
many years in India with the HEIC and dispersed hither and yon once India
received independence. My great grandfather was Robert Horatio McDERMOTT,
born Trichinopoly, India , 19 Nov 1847 and came to England in 1880. He was
number eight of 23 children. His father James married three times during the
course of his life in India (b. 1812 d. 1890).

If any one wants more details of my India connections, I will be happy to
supply the information.

Best wishes from London, UK

Mike McDermott
Researching MARKWALD importer/exporter with businesses in NZ about 1890
onwards.

This thread: